Pear is an early stage venture capital firm in Silicon Valley. We are ex-founders turned investors and have built the “0 to 1” VC.
Companies in our portfolio are worth over $25B and growing. We have funded marquee companies, including DoorDash, Gusto, Guardant Health, and Branch.
Our success has been rooted in our ability to find those entrepreneurs before others see their potential. We build the bridge between great ideas and the markets that need them. Once our founders are on their way, we lend support and expertise to help them make the next leap.
Successfully investing at such an early stage requires us to evaluate emerging industry trends and nascent market opportunities — we are hiring a VC Associate to join us in that endeavor.
What you will be responsible for…
You will work with Pear’s investment team to screen deal flow, perform due diligence, and execute financial analysis. Your core responsibility will be due diligence of potential investments. We are a small and highly collaborative team, so you will gain exposure across the early stage venture capitalists’ skillset.
(1) Initial Screening
- Conduct an initial review of the investment prospects against Pear’s investment criteria
(2) Due Diligence
- Estimate or validate potential market size
- Identify and research competitors
- Analyze industry trends and attractiveness
- Benchmark company metrics (engagement, retention, growth, scale, etc)
- Review the underlying technology
- Compare and evaluate products
- Host user groups and/or surveys to attain feedback from target customers
- Perform reference calls with customers and partners
(3) Financial analysis
- Evaluate attractiveness of unit economics, and carry out research to validate the robustness of underlying assumptions
- Evaluate the company’s operating plan
Who you are…
- Professional experience: You have 1-3 years of experience in strategy consulting, investment banking, private equity, or venture capital. Experience of performing commercial due diligence at a top-tier strategy consultancy is particularly relevant.
- Fascinated by the future: Your deep curiosity compels you to vigorously learn about the emergence of new technologies and the evolution of industries.
- Analytical mind: You can synthesize compelling recommendations based on a combination of qualitative and quantitative data. You structure your analysis to be both sufficiently thorough and hyper efficient.
- Creative thinker: You think originally and can derive unique insights. You take an inventive approach to uncovering information in opaque and nascent markets.
- Team player: You strive to be a major contributor to Pear’s success and can deliver to tight deadlines in a dynamic environment. Our team that values a strong work ethic, humility, a can-do attitude, and a collaborative mindset.
- Effective communicator: You can concisely communicate compelling insights and opinions through both oral and written formats.
- Stellar academics: You have an outstanding academic track record. We have a preference for STEM subjects but will consider a wide range of academic backgrounds.
VC career launchpad
We expect a two-year commitment to this position. We have designed this role to be a differentiating experience to launch yourself into business school, entrepreneurship, or investing.