Munich Re Ventures is responsible for corporate venture capital activities that deliver both strategic and financial value through minority investments and business partnerships. Our current areas of focus include the Internet of Things, Cyber Security, InsurTech, Autonomous Vehicles/Mobility, AI, Digital Health and more. We are active investors who frequently lead rounds and our syndicate partners include top tier venture capital and corporate venture capital firms.
Internally, the team works hand-in-hand with leaders in the Businesses, Engineering, Product Development, Innovation & IT to develop and execute on investment and partnership strategies. Externally, the team works with venture capital firms, incubators / accelerators, universities, entrepreneurs, and other corporations to develop technologies, companies and management teams that help us to strategically grow and transform the business.
The Role: Investment Associate
The Investment Associate will be a member of the investment team and will participate in the end-to-end sourcing and execution of deals. In addition, there will be exposure to some post-close engagements in on-going relationships, and the on-going processes of the venture group. As a member of Munich Re Ventures, this role will also help with the development of strategic investment themes, market landscaping and other research. The position is located in San Francisco, with frequent travel within the US.
The Investment Associate will:
- Partner internally with the businesses to understand and inform their strategy, evaluate specific opportunities, gain business sponsorship, and identify specific activities to deliver strategic value.
- Assist in development of strategic themes and actionable investment thesis in areas of strategic relevance, in collaboration with the businesses and rest of the MRV team.
- Network externally to generate deal flow and relationships.
- Assist in preliminary due diligence on specific opportunities to assess attractiveness.
• Assist in preparation of review materials, updates, and Investment Memos for MRV’s governing bodies and the Investment Committee. • Manage deal tracking and reporting.
- Conduct research on industry sectors, specific companies, and venture activity.
- Communicate successfully with entrepreneurs, management teams, syndicate partners, and other stakeholders, including attorneys, advisors, consultants, and Board Members.
- Represent Munich Re Ventures at various venture capital, investment, and innovation conferences and topical industry events.
The Person: Successful Candidate
The successful candidate will have strong analytical business experience and a passion for new technology and engaging in the start-up community.
- Strategic Vision & Passion for Creating the Future: To be effective in this role requires gaining an understanding of Munich Re’s global insurance and reinsurance businesses, including business models, drivers of economic value, the insurance value chain, competition, risk transfer mechanisms and products, and regulatory environment. Individuals must be able to then build upon this knowledge to envision alternative futures and growth strategies and specific tactical paths to getting there, based on emerging trends, market dynamics, and evolving customer needs and partner opportunities.
- Intellectual Curiosity: This role requires an innate and insatiable intellectual curiosity about business, technology, and business models. Active and constant monitoring and engagement with the innovation ecosystem is essential.
- Strong Analytical Skills: Candidates must have requisite financial and investment analysis and research skills.
- Superior Visual & Written Communication Skills: This role requires the ability to sift through large quantities of information, both quantitative and qualitative, identify the salient points, and then communicate them in the appropriate form in a succinct and elegant story or case.
- Superb Communicator & Relentless Networker: The position requires a high level of communication, influence and interpersonal skills in order to network, navigate, and execute internally with cross-functional teams and externally with multiple stakeholders and partners.
- Disciplined Adaptable Tactician: This role requires strong execution and follow-through in emergent and uncertain situations. The ability to be adaptable and problem solve in the face of evolving internal and external stakeholder agendas and changing priorities is critical.
- 1 + years of experience, including 3+ months in venture capital
- MBA preferred, especially combined with a degree in one of the investment themes mentioned
- Knowledge and fluency in emerging technology and business models in sectors relevant to Munich Re
- Superior oral, written and visual communication skills
- Superior proactive networking and relationship development skills
- Proven teamwork skills both as a leader and cross-functional team member
- Self-motivated with high initiative
- Willing to travel 15-20% of the time including internationally
IF interested, please apply here.