Maveron is a values-focused consumer venture capital firm, focused on backing consumer companies early and helping founders on their journey from obscurity to ubiquity. We are looking to add an investment associate to our team to continue to push our thinking and find the next iconic consumer brands. We have a history of promoting from within and are looking to mentor and help develop professionally a high potential associate. For the first time ever, we are putting forth an open and broad hiring process in the spirit of what is happening in the world. As we learn and grow, we’re doing our best to ensure a broad, open process to cast a wide net and make sure we encourage diverse, underrepresented and non-traditional candidates to apply.
LOCATION: San Francisco preferred
REPORTS TO: Partner
Maveron is a consumer-only venture capital firm funding the brand upstarts, the disruptors, the slayers of the consumer old guard. We target seed or Series A companies and are obsessed with helping extraordinary founders build enduring consumer companies that directly engage, empower, and enchant customers. We’ve had the distinct pleasure to back some incredible companies — Allbirds, Imperfect Foods, General Assembly, Trupanion, Zulily, eBay, and many more.
- Unapologetically non-normal. Something formative happened that gave them a unique perspective and drive to change the world. …
- ‘ships Over ‘actions. Our work is about relationships, not transactions. …
- Profit + Purpose. …
- Win the Right Way.
- Leverage your network and outbound outreach to source high-potential early stage investment opportunities
- Develop industry roadmaps and theses to advance Maveron’s thinking around areas of potential investment
- Evaluate potential investments in early stage companies through founder and financial due diligence, market research, and competitive analysis
- Be an ambassador for the Maveron brand — fostering relationships in the broader entrepreneurial and venture community
- Desire to work within a values-centric venture capital firm
- Keen interest in consumer behavior and trends
- 3–6 years of relevant experience, including but not limited to: technology / startups, venture capital, investment banking, management consulting, private equity
- Native understanding of social media, with strong proven content creation capability
- Collaborative and team-oriented
- Ability to thrive in an unstructured environment with incomplete data
Our process starts with having candidates submit four short written answers along with resumes. These will be due by end of day June 23.
From the initial submissions we select a smaller group for ZOOM interviews. We expect the process to be finished by August, and candidates should be available to start work soon thereafter.
Here are the questions:
Question 1: Why are you interested in the senior associate role at Maveron? [max 150 words]
Question 2: What is the most compelling industry/theme for consumer investment over the coming 5 years? [max 250 words]
Question 3: What is a non-Maveron backed early-stage company we should evaluate for investment (less than $20MM of capital already invested) and why do you find it interesting? [max 250 words]
Question 4: What is something unique about your background or upbringing that we may not know about that might contribute to you being good at this job? [max 150 words]
Please submit your resume and written answers to the above via this form