LEGO Ventures is an outcome of The LEGO Group’s 87 years of awesomeness! We were founded in the fall 2018 to invest at the intersection of Creativity, Play and Learning with an eye on LEGO Group’s 100-year anniversary in 2032. What will the world look like by then? Flying cars, hoverboards, virtual worlds? And how will this effect children and the way they play?
Well, at LEGO Ventures we get to have a hand in shaping the future of play. Want in? We’re hiring.
LEGO Ventures is tasked with helping to deliver future growth and mission-driven impact for the LEGO Brand Group. This will happen through strategic investments, acquisitions and incubation of new companies – all focused within distinct strategic verticals.
The purpose of this role is to support the execution of the LEGO Ventures investment strategy and be a driver of the identification and execution of deals across all maturity stages. The position reports to the Partner for America.
Sourcing & Origination:
- Take an active role in sourcing, screening, and selecting new investments and helping to feed and grow our venture pipeline
- Monitor and track development of previously screened companies
- Build market maps and understand the basic technical underpinnings of start-ups operating within sub-sectors of the LEGO Ventures Opportunity Spaces
- Attend industry events and conferences to build top of funnel and network with relevant entrepreneurs and partners
- Participate in meetings with prospective investee companies
- Help identify and execute on all aspects of deal sourcing
- Conduct initial screening and meetings with start-ups
- Conduct due-diligence and market validation for relevant companies
- Build robust financial models for potential opportunities
- Be an active contributor to both financial and non-financial diligence, with high levels of precision especially in crafting drafts of deal memos
- Develop investment insights and hypotheses by conducting market, product, customer, and financial due diligence
- Provide operational support to Partners and Portfolio Companies where needed
- Assist in tracking portfolio company KPIs
- Support the assessment of follow-on investments
Value-add & Strategy:
- Support the on-going development and understanding of LEGO Ventures Opportunity Spaces and the fund’s core investment thesis
- Build and develop a network of entrepreneurs, academics, and investors
- Develop internal network across the existing LEGO branded entities
- Strong academic track record. CFA, MBA, or CPA a plus
- 2-5 years professional experience in leading management consultancy, bulge bracket investment bank (M&A or equity research), prominent VC, or leading tech firm
- Entrepreneurial, start-up, or operational experience highly regarded
- Experience in EdTech or Consumer products viewed favourably
- Excellent communication and networking skills, ability to interact effectively in a professional setting
- Demonstrated strong technical and analytical skills; build financial models with ease and articulate precisely through writing
- Process-driven orientation with a clear ability to make the complex simple – deep dive and put large amounts of information into context to help build a thesis around companies, industries and competition
- Collaborative and hands on work attitude with an entrepreneurial mindset
- Team-player with high standards of professional and ethical conduct
- Flexibility with regards to travel, 10-15 weeks per year expected
If interested, please apply here.