The Permanente Federation LLC (the Federation) is the national leadership and consulting organization for the eight Permanente Medical Groups (PMGs), which, together with the Kaiser Foundation Health Plans (KFHP) and Kaiser Foundation Hospitals (KFH), comprise Kaiser Permanente. The PMGs employ almost 23,000 physicians, approximately 90,000 nurses, other clinicians and staff, and provide care to over 12.2 million Kaiser Permanente members. The Federation works on behalf of the PMGs to optimize care delivery and advance Permanente Medicine – medicine that is patient centered, evidence based, technology enabled, culturally responsive, team delivered, and physician led. The Federation, based in Oakland, California, is dedicated to serving and leading Permanente Medicine, the Permanente Medical Groups, and Kaiser Permanente in support of our patients and members.
This position will support investment analysis, fund operations, and portfolio management. This is a tremendous opportunity to gain exposure to the venture business alongside a small entrepreneurial team of accomplished investors and health care executives.
The ideal candidate will have post college health care experience with a leading venture firm, investment bank, consulting firm or with a healthcare IT or services company. Candidates without relevant health care experience will not be considered.
Kaiser Permanente Ventures (KP Ventures) makes investments in medical devices, healthcare services and information technology companies. KP Ventures is dedicated to partnering with entrepreneurial companies to build innovative and enduring businesses that advance the quality and affordability of health care. Since its inception in 1997, KP Ventures has invested in more than 60 venture-capital backed companies at all stages of development.
- The Associate will work closely with members of the venture capital team. This is a junior investment role.
- The Associate will be engaged in nearly all aspects of venture capital investing from: Tracking and screening incoming business plans; Conducting all stages of due diligence (such as market, competition, and clinical diligence); Writing investment memoranda, transaction execution, and ongoing analytical support for portfolio companies.
- The Associate will be expected to contribute to other team responsibilities, such as presentation, production, and periodic portfolio reporting.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience post-college at a leading venture or private equity firm, investment bank, or consulting firm, with an industry focus on health care.
- BA/BS in finance, economics, or healthcare related field. Candidates currently finishing an MBA program will also be considered.
License, Certification, Registration
- Travel as required (approximately 10% of time).
- Position will be located in Oakland, CA.
- Relevant work experience in the health care industry is required.
- Strong corporate finance and accounting knowledge-base gained through an investment banking analyst program and/or corporate finance and accounting coursework during university.
- Advanced Excel financial modelling skills, with ability to build complex financial models from scratch and independently.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional work ethic and willingness to accomplish all required tasks to assist the team.
- Resourcefulness and attention to detail.
- High integrity.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build and establish collaborative working relationships.
- Technical degrees such as software engineering, biology, biomedical engineering and mechanical engineering are preferred, but not required.
If interested, please apply here.