Investment professional will focus on early-stage investing in startups innovating in the retail and financial services industries. She/he will work closely with the two investing partners, one development partner, and one senior associate as part of a small and collaborative team.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Reading/reviewing business plans and pitch decks
- Assessing market/company attractiveness to help identify compelling businesses
- Involvement in all aspects of due diligence on new investments (business analysis, industry thesis, competitive landscape, business/pricing model, and financial modeling / deal structuring)
- Working in a strategic capacity with Commerce Ventures’ existing portfolio companies as needed
- Preparing market analyses and presentations to drive investment decisions and for engagement with corporate partners
- Investment professional will participate in and be asked to contribute to weekly internal meetings in which new investments and portfolio companies are discussed
Candidates should have 2-5 years of total prior work experience including at a minimum either of:
- Two years of full-time work experience at a top-tier investment bank, venture capital firm or growth equity firm, or
- Two years of full-time work experience at a top-tier strategy consulting firm, or
- Two years of full-time work experience in a strategy or corporate development role at a major retailer, brand, or retail-tech company.
Qualified candidates likely also meet the following criteria:
- Undergraduate degree from a top-tier institution, and a demonstrated track record of both academic and professional success
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills with an ability to develop and maintain effective business relationships
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment with limited supervision
- Candidates must have modeling skills and a solid understanding of finance and accounting
- Self-starter with superior work ethic and uncompromising personal integrity
Interest and experience in retail – either directly as an employee or through transactions in the retail market is highly preferred, but not mandatory.
ABOUT COMMERCE VENTURES
Commerce Ventures is an early-stage venture capital firm focused on the Commerce Continuum. We invest in platform businesses which power the future of how consumers Shop (Retail / Commerce), Spend (Payments / Credit), Save (Banking / Investing) and Secure (Insurance) their financial lives. Our team has 60 years of combined venture capital, corporate strategy, deal-making and startup experience in our focus areas. The CV investor base is comprised of the most strategic individuals and corporations from the payments, financial services and commerce eco-system.
We deploy a thesis-driven approach to identifying and investing in the leaders within our sector focus. Our deep relationships with industry leaders generate proprietary deal flow, enable unique due diligence insights and provide value to our portfolio. We engage this network in a variety of unique ways including our annual 300+ person, invite-only Commerce Summit and the many delegations of senior executives we host from major retailers, payment processors, financial institutions and insurance carriers.
Our three funds combined represent more than $100 million in committed capital from strategic investors across the commerce and financial services markets. Fund I is a $16 million fund raised in 2013. Fund II is a $30 million fund raised in 2015. Fundraising is nearly complete for Fund III which will be $60-$80 million.
To date, the firm has invested in over fifty technology startups, including category leaders, such as Bill.com (B2B Payments), Forter (Fraud Prevention), InAuth (Mobile Authentication), Marqeta (Issuing Payments), MX (Digital Banking), Snapsheet (Claims Automation), Socure (Identity Verification), RetailNext (In-store Analytics), and Narvar (E-commerce Fulfillment).
If you are interested in this role – please email Cassie at firstname.lastname@example.org.