X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing new ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
In this role, you will be responsible for capital allocation for the full portfolio at X and improve the financial processes and infrastructure to support this. You will work in strategic finance, partnering with senior executives to decide where and how X should place its bets. You will partner with X leadership, strategy and other cross-finance teams to drive investment decisions and ongoing operations. You will be leading the planning, reporting, and analysis needs for X, and manage the P&L, and other financial reports. You are enthusiastic and a self-starter, wanting to design new and enhance existing processes; scoping, designing, and implementing new and scalable processes to support growth.
- Serve as core portfolio analyst for X and its graduates, managing our company-wide forecast and financial processes, and finance partner to operations and G&A teams at X.
- Lead critical analysis to evaluate the performance of our moonshots and guide future investments.
- Help build and iterate on X’s capital allocation strategy for the moonshot factory
- Manage the day to day of being a CFO-in-learning: monthly, quarterly and annual financial planning cycles, drive visibility into business performance, resource planning decision and drive alignment across Alphabet Finance team
- BA/BS degree in finance, economics, business, or technical field, or equivalent practical experience. CFA/MBA a plus.
- 3 years of relevant experience in finance, investment banking, corporate development, product analyst in startup, venture capital, management consulting, or similar environment, including FP&A and project management experience.
- Thrive on ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering to them in a very fast-changing environment
- Database and reporting experience including proficiency in SQL across a standard commercial database platform (e.g Oracle, MySQL)
- Ability to build business models from the ground up, based on independently sourced research
- Ability to influence without authority, working with technical and cross-functional teams who do not report into this role to get things done
- Distinctive problem solving and analysis skills, combined with impeccable business judgment, leadership skills, and ability to communicate with a senior management team
- Attention to detail, project management, and organizational skills
- Working knowledge of capital allocation, corporate finance and basic accounting concepts
- Fast learner with capacity to learn about a wide-spread of different technologies & industries
About X, The Moonshot Factory
X creates radical new technologies to solve some of the world’s biggest problems. We develop uncomfortably ambitious, potentially world-changing new ideas such as self-driving cars, balloon-powered Internet and smart contact lenses. We’re a team of makers, entrepreneurs, engineers, designers and scientists with deep technical expertise who love the challenge of the seemingly impossible. X was formerly known as Google[x] and is part of Alphabet.
If interested, please apply here.