Hewlett Packard Pathfinder is the venture capital arm of Hewlett Packard Enterprise. We are a small, agile, Bay Area-based team focused on identifying and investing in category-leading technology startups. Our mission of engaging with innovators and investors across the startup ecosystem enables us to provide advanced strategic insights to HPE, make key investments on behalf of HPE, and nurture solutions relevant to HPE’s customers.
Areas of recent investment interest span the enterprise stack and include (but are not limited to): software, hardware, infrastructure, DevOps, cloud, edge, data, AI/ML, storage, compute, quantum, silicon, and cybersecurity.
We’re seeking an Investment Analyst to help us evaluate investment opportunities, investigate areas of potential investment interest, develop or maintain strategic points of view critical to the firm’s investment theses, and support our internal investment operations. As a key member of our team, the Investment Analyst will report to the Managing Director and will be a full member of the Pathfinder investment team.
Depending on familiarity and experience, the Investment Analyst can look forward to working alongside Pathfinder’s Principals and MD through each stage of the investment process, including: brainstorming new investment theses, identifying new opportunities, joining initial meetings with entrepreneurs, conducting thorough due diligence evaluations, and crafting our formal investment recommendations.
In addition to the above, the Investment Analyst will also have an opportunity to engage with Hewlett Packard Enterprise’s executive leaders, help inform high-level strategic decisions, and assist with some of our internal operations such as fund management and portfolio support.
This is a full-time role based out of our San Jose/ Santa Clara offices.
- Work with Principals, MD and assist with all stages of the investment process.
- Support investment activities with primary and secondary research (e.g. theme development, market sizing, competitive landscapes, point of view synthesis).
- Create and analyze financial models for specific investment opportunities under active consideration.
- Develop and present materials that translate complicated analyses into concise and clear narratives that support an opinion or point of view.
- Gather and distill market data on new trends, behaviors, and developments within the venture capital industry.
- Own important internal fund management processes (e.g. curating investment pipelines, working with non-investment staff to report on portfolio performance).
Highly qualified candidates will have many of the following traits:
- A bachelor’s degree from a top-tier academic institution complemented by a background in science, technology, engineering, math, finance, economics, or other analytical fields.
- 2-3 years of work experience in investment banking, consulting, private equity/venture capital, corporate development, or a technology startup.
- A desire and drive to learn about the venture capital industry, tech startups, and entrepreneurship.
- A strong intellectual curiosity and passion for tech investing, especially in sectors of interest to the firm.
- Well developed interpersonal, social, and relationship management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfort presenting to internal and external audiences, especially ones containing multiple levels of seniority.
- Ability to evaluate, filter, organize, and summarize information.
- Impressive analytical abilities and modeling skills.
- An intimate familiarity with MS Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic, fast paced environment while simultaneously handling multiple projects involving a variety of different teams and functional groups.
If interested, please apply here.