Celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2019, C.M. Capital is a dynamic family office based in Palo Alto, CA, advising a single global, multi-generation family. Our portfolio is primarily invested in alternative assets, including real estate, venture capital, private equity, and hedge funds, and includes direct investments in public and private companies.
We’re searching for an analyst / associate to join our investment team.
The analyst / associate will be an integral member of a small and highly skilled investment team responsible for managing a highly complex multi-asset class portfolio for a private family. The analyst / associate will primarily focus on investing directly in late-stage venture-backed companies and co-investing in private equity buyouts.
The position will allow an investment professional to gain vertical specialization and generalist experience through training from senior team members. The firm has an excellent track record of developing people and providing opportunities for ongoing career growth and development. The organizational culture is highly collaborative, sophisticated, supportive and empowering with significant crossover engagement, offering the analyst / associate numerous opportunities to learn from the real estate and fund investing teams.
Analysts / associates on our team are generalists, reflecting our firm’s broad investment mandate. You can expect to contribute to the team’s efforts by:
- Primarily supporting a lean direct late-stage venture and growth equity investment team in idea generation, analysis, and execution
- Conducting primary market and company-specific research, as well as synthesizing information from our portfolio of VC and PE funds and sell-side investment research
- Reviewing company financials and building valuation and returns models
- Covering a wide range of markets (especially enterprise software, healthcare, and fintech) in a variety of geographies
- Preparing investment memoranda and other related deliverables to present to our in-house investment committee
- Supporting other ad hoc projects arising from other teams at our firm, including opportunities to learn about PE/VC/HF fund investing and real estate investment such as projects related to portfolio monitoring, liquidity forecasting, and asset class research
The analyst/associate position is an investment role with considerable room for growth in responsibility. Our team is searching for candidates who possess the following:
- Proven analytical capabilities, written and verbal communication skills, and organizational discipline, with experience with financial modeling in Excel and research in Bloomberg
- Clear interest in investing (candidates who move forward will be asked to pitch at least one idea, either a publicly-traded company or a venture-backed startup)
- Interest for technology in particular, but importantly coupled with intellectual curiosity and resilience
- Experience handling multiple complex projects, with the detail orientation necessary to produce timely and accurate deliverables
- Excellent interpersonal skills, which is critical to joining a lean investment team, presenting to our investment committee, and communicating with investors at other funds
- Bachelor’s degree and a record of high academic achievement
- 2-4 years of experience in investment banking, equity research, venture capital, private equity, institutional investing, corporate development, corporate finance, business operations, or other relevant experience
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their resume (PDF preferred) and brief responses to the below questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why are interested in joining C.M. Capital Advisors?
- Succinctly pitch us an interesting venture-backed or publicly traded company in our investment mandate.
- If you don’t live here already, what ties do you have to San Francisco, Palo Alto, or the Bay Area at large? If you already live in the Bay Area, tell us about your anticipated commute to Palo Alto.
- What is your favorite Excel function, and why?
All offers are contingent upon: (1) ability, as required by federal law, to establish employment eligibility as a U.S. citizen, a U.S. lawful permanent resident, or an individual specifically authorized for employment in the U.S. by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, and (2) acceptable remarks from professional references, (3) consenting to and passing a security background check to the satisfaction of the Company, including confirmation of employment and education, and (4) acknowledgement of all Registered Investment Advisor compliance policies, and if deemed an “access person”, completion of all related compliance forms (including, but not limited to, political contribution disclosure forms), and adequate disclosure of all required information pursuant to said policies (including, but not limited to, all brokerage statements and investment holdings).