Temasek and BlackRock, Inc have established a joint venture called Decarbonization Partners that will invest in the next generation of innovative decarbonization solutions and businesses to accelerate global efforts to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050. This partnership represents an extension of Temasek and BlackRock’s commitment to sustainability, a core tenet of each firms’ forward strategies. This joint venture has the goal democratizing net zero investing and establishing decarbonization and climate solutions as a new asset class.
Decarbonization Partners has US$600 million in initial combined capital from Temasek and BlackRock and will look to raise multiple funds focused on late-stage venture capital and early growth private equity investing across the decarbonization investment landscape. Areas of investment focus include clean reliable energy, electrification of mobility, industry and buildings, green materials, circular economy and carbon intelligence.
Decarbonization Partners complements BlackRock’s considerable sustainable and decarbonization investment capabilities across the firm and will further deliver on our clients’ intense demand for sustainable and private market investments.
BlackRock is seeking a highly motivated and qualified Managing Director to join this newly established team, preferably based in New York or San Francisco. The position will play a key role in supporting the establishment of the business, driving origination, execution and oversight of direct equity investments. The individual will be part of a global Decarbonization Partners investment team and will spend time across Europe and Asia to participate in firm-wide activities and support broader deal execution processes.
Key Responsibilities Include
The role will require investment expertise, and relationships with incubators/accelerators, innovation partners, technical experts, industry trade groups, as well as large corporates operating in the decarbonization solutions space.
- Team build & leadership: Help the continued development of the Decarbonization Partners investment team in the U.S. that covers origination, execution and portfolio management responsibilities and is closely integrated in the broader global team
- Direct investments: drive the origination strategy and activities for the U.S., lead due diligence, structuring, negotiation and closing of direct investment opportunities
- Portfolio Management: Lead ongoing management of completed investments and, in due course, exit processes. Assume board responsibilities with some existing portfolio companies.
- This role offers the opportunity to join a high profile, fast growing and dynamic business which is a key strategic priority for both Temasek and BlackRock, the world’s largest asset manager:
- Be a key part of establishing and shaping the development of a new dedicated venture and growth equity investment platform at the cutting edge of net zero private markets
- Exposure to an experienced global team with strong team values
- A collaborative and fast-paced work environment which requires a hands-on approachExperience And Skills
- Proven track record (15+ years’ work experience) as an investor in growth equity or venture capital deals; robust investment acumen
- Deep existing network across a broad range of sectors and corporates providing a strong basis for origination activity
- Candidates could also be considered with robust backgrounds in project finance and / or investment banking / M&A environment.
- Operational experience and technical knowledge in energy generation, efficiency, mobility, industrial sectors with a decarbonization/sustainability focus and / or circular economy and /or tech enabled sustainability / decarbonization transformation
- Commercial acumen with robust analytical skills and experience managing risk in a portfolio
- Hands-on approach, and willing to dig-in drive origination and lead transactions on a day-to-day basis
- Leadership and client management / networking skills
- Persuasive and polished written and oral communication skills capable of dealing with complex, multicultural teams with internal and external members.
- Ability to effectively distil complex concepts into clear and simple themes
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates entrepreneurial spirit and willing to assume additional responsibilities
- Strong academic credentials: MBA and/or other advanced degree is helpfulOur Benefits
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children’s educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment – the one we make in our employees. It’s why we’re dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | http://www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.
If interested, please apply here.