eBay’s Corporate Development Team is responsible for sourcing, evaluating, executing, and integrating the company’s strategic acquisitions, divestitures, investments and joint ventures.
The team works closely with eBay’s CEO, CFO, CTO, CPO, GMs and operational leaders to enable go/no-go decision-making for potential investments and acquisitions. We develop outstanding market insights and strong industry & venture capital relationships to proactively identify the most attractive M&A and investment opportunities. We assess opportunities to ensure a strong strategic rationale, assess the case for buying vs. building vs. partnering, align the organizational fit and integration plan, develop the business case, perform valuation, structure, negotiate and execute transactions.
The Corporate Development Associate will report to the Director of Corporate Development. The role requires a blend of strong strategic problem-solving, deal experience, and collaboration skills, in a highly dynamic business environment.
The person will be involved in identifying prospective target opportunities, performing strategic and quantitative analysis, conducting due diligence, determining appropriate valuation and structure, developing strategy for and conducting negotiations, driving activities to closure, and coordinating with our M&A Integration team.
On a typical transaction, the Associate will be responsible for the following:
- Preparing executive-ready presentations with strategic framing, analysis, and recommendations Developing insightful analysis of key industry trends (technology, competitors, consumers, regulatory, etc.) and inform the organization of their strategic implications
- Identifying and evaluating potential acquisition or investment opportunities in conjunction with the business and product teams
- Conducting rigorous valuation analyses (using multiple methodologies) and business/integration case modeling to evaluate and recommend transaction opportunities
- Quarter-backing due diligence for potential targets and evaluating due diligence results
- Facilitating and managing acquisition and investment processes with cross-functional groups that involve members from our business units as well as eBay’s functional groups such as Finance, Tax, Accounting, Legal and Human Resources
This role provides a unique opportunity to gain a deep understanding of eBay, our industry and to support transactions ranging from strategic investments and the related commercial deal, to smaller tech and talent tuck-ins, to larger scale M&A. The level of exposure will allow the Associate to develop close working relationships with the leaders at eBay, and can be an effective springboard for other operational roles at eBay, where global job mobility is encouraged.
- Problem Solver. Our job is to help eBay make better business decisions and often those involve solving tough problems. We value intellectual honesty and the use of creativity to find practical solutions to solve problems on deals.
- Demonstrated subject-matter expert. We’re deal specialists! We need you to be one, too! Being able to understand eBay’s business, the transaction or project objectives, and then overlay that with your own deal and tactical recommendations is a critical part of the job.
- Confident speaking your mind. Our culture encourages open and honest discussion. You will need to demonstrate the confidence to speak up as a leader, with substance, recognizing that sometimes it may be uncomfortable to do so.
- Ability to drive projects/tasks to conclusion. We don’t like punting a major decision. Decisions tend not to get easier by deferring them indefinitely. We are expected to help prioritize, create clear project plans, ensure there are owners for action items and a clear path to making the decision. This will often involve working across functions in the organization and the Associate must be able to work with colleagues across a broad organization in this regard.
- Curiosity. Curiosity, proactivity and resourcefulness are the natural repellents against poor decision making. The Associate will have a curious mind, not be afraid to ask lots of questions, and be keen to keep learning.
- Good team-mate. By virtue of the role, we work collectively with team members across the organization. We continually do our best to create an environment where other eBay colleagues look forward to working with us. We’re always ready to “grab an oar”, regardless of our role/level/title, and understand that the project as a collaborative effort.
- Negotiate great outcomes. Ultimately we care more about the outcome than the process. The Associate must be a savvy negotiator that understands deal issues, prepares properly for discussions, and communicates effectively.
- Ability to coach, mentor, and grow. The Associate should be prepared to give (and receive) in-the-moment, relevant, useful and honest feedback to team mates. The Corporate Development team strives to improve and being able to give and receive feedback is a core part of this cycle.
The ideal candidate for the position should have a BA or BS undergraduate degree. The candidate should have at least two years of relevant work experience at a top-tier investment bank, corporate development team, private equity or venture capital firm.
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs. Including maternal & paternal leave, paid sabbatical, and plans to help ensure your financial security today and in the years ahead because we know feeling financially secure during your working years and through retirement is important.
Here at eBay, we love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/company/diversity-inclusion/
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
If interested, please apply here.