emasek’s Americas team is looking for an investment professional to join the investment team at the Associate Director (“AD”) level, focused on HCIT/diagnostics/tools investing.
The AD will be an integral part of the investment team, participating in all aspects of the investment process, from sourcing, initial screening and due diligence, through approval to post-investment monitoring and divestment.
The successful candidate will have a strong scientific and/or clinical background and be able to understand, interpret, and integrate information from diverse therapeutic areas in order to reach investment conclusions. It will be critically important for candidates to understand business principles and market dynamics in the drug and medical device sectors.
Specific activities will include preparing investment memos, financial modeling using Excel, working with consultants to perform scientific and financial due diligence, preparing PowerPoint presentations for both internal and external audiences, working with attorneys to draft term sheets and investment documents, analyzing data from various information vendors, and maintaining proprietary firm databases. The position provides an exceptional opportunity for individuals interested in gaining some of the broadest experience possible across med tech/biotech private/growth equity, venture capital and public market investing.
Role & Responsibilities
- Identifying and assessing investment opportunities in the HCIT/diagnostics/tools space, across a broad range of stages and asset classes: private/growth equity, venture capital and public opportunities.
- Conducting due diligence, closing investments, monitoring the performance of portfolio companies and eventually helping to lead them into public listing or divestment.
- Research and financial analysis of target companies.
- Preparing and maintaining internal documentation on potential investments / portfolio companies, including investment memos and financial analyses.
- Establishing and cultivating relationships with companies, corporate partners and other relevant institutions.
- Attending company management meetings and investment/medical conferences.
- Assisting in board-level management of portfolio companies; attending board meetings as an observer and work on projects to build portfolio company value.
- Advanced degree in medicine or science (Masters, PhD or job equivalent of same), an MBA (or on the job equivalent of same).
- Deep domain knowledge in the HCIT/diagnostics/tools space. Relevant work experience in an operating role (at a HCIT, diagnostics or tools company), top-tier consulting firm and/or finance industry, with a minimum of 3 years of work experience preferred.
- 1 or more year(s) of prior investing or investment banking experience preferred.
- Organized, detail-oriented personality with the ability to multi-task in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Impeccable integrity, work ethic and commitment, and the motivation to learn the investing business.
- Ability to work well within diverse teams and deal with multiple stakeholders.
- Candidates should be team players and have the ability to build a network in the life sciences community.
- Strong financial modelling, writing and Powerpoint skills.
If interested, please apply here.