Tusk is one-part venture capital firm, one-part political strategy firm that deploys both capital and strategic expertise to help startups and other entities break through regulatory barriers and operate at full speed.
We are looking to hire a Vice President or Senior Vice President of our public affairs team in our New York office to help develop and execute communications strategies on behalf of the firm and our clients.
We work with startups, established companies, and organizations across a variety of industries — transportation, energy, health care, education, insurance, finance, hospitality, alcohol, beauty, gaming — that offer a great idea and critical political problems or opportunities that we can solve.
As a member of the Tusk New York public affairs team, you will be navigating the political, regulatory and media environments in jurisdictions across the country.
We are looking for a candidate with political experience who can work on both national and local communications and policy issues. The candidate would report to the Head of the NY practice.
Our firm’s model is unique, so we need uniquely talented people to join our team.
Who you are.
We are looking for someone who is smart, charismatic, creative and driven. You must be able to operate in a fast-moving, fast-changing and competitive environment. You should have a passion for communicating complex ideas to the broader world and an understanding of the ever-changing media environment.
You should think and write strategically and creatively about a range of issues in a variety of media, including, press releases, op-eds, remarks, briefing documents and blog posts.
Most importantly, you understand that people don’t simply get their news from the front page anymore. You must be able think outside the box when it comes to communication strategies — everything from podcasts to newsletters. (And it’s a plus if you’re passionate about technology and its potential for changing the world as we know it)
We move quickly. Our work is hard. We value those who can push themselves, want to grow their roles, and aren’t afraid to solve problems on their own. You have to not just be willing, but excited, to be a part of doing the hard work it takes to build and grow our firm.
What you will be doing.
You will be responsible for running campaigns for our clients and portfolio companies to find creative ways to articulate their vision and tell their story to a wide audience including politicians, policy influencers, and other key players in the regulatory environment.
This role will also manage communications activities related to public affairs campaigns and communications engagements across the country.
In particular, this campaign manager will be responsible for:
- Creating and developing compelling campaign plans for clients with the goal of moving governments, getting press attention, and raising the profile of a given issue or client. This includes building an interesting narrative and vision, which allows client to win the campaign.
- Actively engaging, cultivating and managing relationships to ensure coverage for our portfolio companies, Tusk leadership team and other initiatives.
- Developing communication materials, including talking points, press releases, media pitches, speeches, strategic communication plans, thought leadership pieces/opeds and website copy.
- Maximizing media opportunities by thinking creatively and considering every potential angle and media channel.
- At least 7 years of experience in campaigns, union, non profits or political advocacy.
- Campaign or government experience at a political campaign, union, non profit or company where you performed political work.
- Familiarity with political and/or media landscape.
- Experience creating and executing winning campaign plans.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with reporters and/or government or political officials.
- Track record of success creating narratives and storylines which are used to win a campaign.
- Successful writing and editing experience.
- Self-reliant, results oriented and the ability to make decisions in a fast-paced environment.
- Great oral and interpersonal skills and all around interesting, dynamic person who loves a challenging environment.
- Established media or political contacts
- Sense of humor (!)
If interested, please send an updated resume to email@example.com.