We strongly encourage applications from women, racial and ethnic minorities, and other individuals who are under-represented in venture capital.
HC9 Ventures is an early-stage healthcare venture capital firm built to provide deep industry expertise to emerging companies. To do so, HC9 brings together the collective insights and experience of successful entrepreneurs and executives from across the industry. Our General Partners collectively have over 70 years’ experience investing in, leading and growing healthcare companies.
HC9 is seeking to add a founding member to its investment team. This is a unique opportunity for the right candidate, offering the chance to have a hand in building a new firm, to support the companies that will transform healthcare, and to engage with an LP base composed of industry leaders. The Vice President/Principal role reports directly to the Managing General Partner and will be a key member of the HC9 investment team. The ideal candidate will have solid experience in healthcare and the start-up ecosystem, but also have significant interest in and room for growth. Because we are building HC9 for the long term, we would like to commit to this individual and their development – and in return we are seeking someone who will make a durable commitment to HC9.
This role has four main responsibilities:
- Sourcing – interview LPs and other experts to identify market gaps and opportunities; identify, contact, screen and engage promising emerging companies; track both the healthcare startup market and general technology trends to produce market landscape analyses
- Diligence & Investment – drive the due diligence process for potential investments; conduct customer, vendor and subject matter expert interviews; conduct financial and market analyses; review data rooms; prepare term sheets, internal briefing documents and investment committee memos; present potential investments to fund investment committee
- Portfolio Management – collaborate with portfolio company leadership and HC9 LPs to identify and manage growth, hiring, follow-on investment and exit opportunities; take Board and Board Observer roles as appropriate; produce regular reporting, portfolio reviews and benchmarking
- Firm Development – work with the rest of the HC9 team to build the firm’s capabilities, processes and infrastructure; build and manage relationships with LPs; pitch in on administrative and organizational tasks as needed
This role could be a good fit if you:
- Love to geek out about healthcare – you know your ACO from your MSO from your HMO, and you can name a half dozen startups in each of those spaces
- Wake up each morning excited to help shape the future of healthcare
- Have been tracking how new technologies such as AI, IoT and VR are changing healthcare
- Have a flexible mindset and always pitch in whenever it is necessary – no task is too small or unimportant
- Can work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a small, nimble team
- Are not afraid to speak your mind – but are also always happy to listen and learn
- Are naturally curious and always want to learn – you’re comfortable asking both “why?” and “why not?”
- Enjoy connecting others as much as you enjoy meeting new people
- Are fluent in strategy but can be tactical when needed
- Expect to work with high-quality, high-integrity people
- Can communicate clearly and persuasively both verbally and in writing
- Understand the founder mindset
- Have an intuitive understanding of financial projections and reports
It is a bonus if you:
- Have a background in venture capital or private equity, and/or experience in healthcare consulting
- Have founder and/or operating experience in healthcare and/or at a startup
- Have been an angel investor
- Have a Master’s degree (MBA, MHA, etc.), JD, MD or PhD
The HC9 Ventures team works remotely but comes together in person on a regular basis. The three general partners are in the New York metro area, so team meetings will typically be held in New York City. A candidate living in the Acela corridor (Boston to Washington DC) is preferred, though candidates in other geographies will be considered.
HC9 offers a competitive benefit package including base salary, bonus, carry and benefits.
If interested, please apply here.