Primary Venture Partners is looking for a Consumer-focused Principal to join its Investment team.
Primary is a seed-stage venture capital firm dedicated to delivering exceptional support to the founders of transformational businesses in NYC. By pairing meaningful investment resources with the largest portfolio impact team of any NYC seed investor, our portfolio companies have reached an industry-best seed-to-A graduation rate.
Principals at Primary work hand-in-hand with 1-2 Partners, but are very much viewed as leaders for deal execution from sourcing to wire completed. The Principals will become investing experts in certain industries that we view as having strong potential for returns and will have the opportunity to play a key role in investments, sit in on board meetings and support firm wide strategy as Primary scales.
The ideal candidate is resourceful, data-driven, well-networked and ready to hustle.
About the role – specific responsibilities will include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Provide top-of-funnel support to deal process by constantly networking with valuable deal sources to generate quality deal activity as well as generate proprietary dealflow in sector of focus through connections with operators, angel investors and service providers
- Build a network of downstream investors to gain market insights and improve follow-on fundraising processes
- Build value-add relationships with founders before and through fundraising processes in order to act as primary point of contact for portfolio company CEO
- Prioritize dealflow, triage quickly and double down on the right investment opportunities
- Own end-to-end due diligence process, including assessing market potential/size, generating investment theses and zeroing in on “gotta believes”
- Quickly and effectively assess the background and capabilities of founding teams to identify the right people to back
- Drive development of term sheet and cap table modeling to support transaction process
- Play point on coordinating the utilization of Portfolio Impact resources by partnering with peers across the firm
- Support Partners with ongoing LP reporting
- Must be available to work full-time in NYC
- Self-starter: you have an entrepreneur’s intrinsic motivation and are capable of independently running with business ideas with substantial ambiguity. You are resourceful, passionate about ownership and willing to hustle to win deals
- Network-builder: you’re comfortable developing relationships with industry leaders from the ground up and have a deep knowledge of technology investing as well as a strong understanding of the VC ecosystem
- Entrepreneurial: you are eager to engage in the venture and startup ecosystem and can quickly build credibility with founders
- Storyteller: you’re able to learn rapidly, develop a strong point of view, and communicate compelling narratives
- Data-driven: you have a strong analytical tool kit from strategy consulting, investment banking or a commercial or financial role in tech. You’re comfortable with financial models and concepts and can quickly assess the feasibility and scalability of a new venture idea
- Deeply curious: you have a strong desire to become an expert in a certain industry or business model. You love hunting down experts, listening to podcasts and reading anything you can get your hands on about the new topic
- Optional: Some startup operating experience
Compensation: compensation is market-competitive and will include upside in our fund and SPVs.
If interested, please apply here.