Variant is in the process of closing our third first-check crypto fund investing in the ownership economy. We are scaling our investment team to keep pace with rapid growth in the space.
Variant is a startup, and we are looking for a tenacious, low-ego, empathetic partner who is willing to roll up their sleeves to grow in the role and help grow the firm. You’ll gain a unique experience working closely with the General Partners, Jesse, Li, Spencer and growing investment team—in order to help cement our position as the marquee seed fund for supporting builders in crypto at the earliest possible stages.
What is an Investment Partner at Variant Fund?
As an infrastructure investment partner, you’ll work closely with GPs and the investment team to analyze opportunities with a focus on complex technologies enabling the ownership economy, for example: new blockchains, virtual machines, novel mechanism designs, scaling solutions, cross-chain communication, innovations in privacy preserving and cryptographic compute, etc. Your role will be to help support the life of the investment process: from sourcing, diligence, informing our investment decisions, to portfolio support. The candidate should be excited to do rigorous, structured, and creative, first-principles analysis of projects and trends at the bleeding edge of crypto. To succeed in the role, the candidate needs to be highly organized, able to context-switch effectively, have extreme attention to detail, and most importantly, be a first principles thinker who can synthesize their ideas concisely in writing and in small, group settings.
The candidate will be responsible for:
- Conducting deep technical research and diligence on new investment opportunities.
- Developing expert points of view on emerging market categories, for example, why we should invest in a particular category and the thesis on characteristics of a desirable investment.
- Sourcing new investment opportunities by meeting entrepreneurs through involvement in the crypto community, cultivating a network of researchers, builders and other investors.
- Presenting analysis to the investment team in verbal and written research reports and investment recommendations, which include analysis on market categories, go-to-market strategy, team, data and other relevant information
- Investment partners will often be a founder’s first exposure to Variant, and so will be responsible for ensuring a positive experience that helps get them excited about working with us.
- Conducting deep diligence on new investment opportunities, supported by sharp analysis and research on competitive landscape, GTM plans, founders, data, and other relevant information
- Synthesize investment research and support recommendations via written investment memos and/or presentations.
- Supporting builders post-investment by leveraging our birds-eye view and network to support the portfolio.
QUALIFICATIONS (NEED TO HAVE)
- Be excited to interface with some of crypto’s most knowledgeable founders, builders, researchers, and independent analysts
- Intellectually curious: eager and able to learn new concepts and frameworks and keep on top of a rapidly-evolving space
- Ability to quickly synthesize technical, disparate sources of information and form a point of view, communicating it concisely in writing as well as 1:1 and in group settings.
- Thrive off of new ideas and push our team’s thinking.
- Attention to detail, with ability to switch contexts gracefully.
- Be a detail-oriented self-starter, with strong organizational and communication skills
- Able to operate independently at a high level with limited oversight.
- High-energy, high-integrity, with demonstrated history of being an ‘owner’ or high-level of initiative in a prior activity.
- High EQ and ability to build and cultivate a network of long-term relationships
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS (NICE TO HAVE)
- CS background with a focus on “hard tech” problems like cryptography, market design, or distributed systems.
- A native understanding and passion for crypto
- A unique network that makes you a magnet for talent.
About Variant Fund
Variant is a first-check crypto fund investing in the ownership economy. We are remote-first and welcome candidates distributed in the U.S. We provide competitive salaries and benefits including:
- Premium health/dental coverage
- Generous PTO
- Opportunity to grow alongside a leading firm in a fast-growing market
- Energetic, kind and mission driven co-workers.
If interested, please apply here.