A Managing Director specializes in the technology, life sciences, and energy technology fields, and plays a critical role in the investment process. An individual in this role, among other things, sources new deals, delivers written and oral analyses of investment opportunities, negotiates and structures investments, participates in the due diligence process, oversees a team of Principals, Associates, and Analysts during the preparation of diligence materials and financial models, while closely tracking industry trends. This position reports to the Chief Investment Officer.
New Business Development Opportunities:
- Establish/maintain relationships with venture capital, and private equity firms, as well as venture capital and private equity backed Life Science companies and other sources of business opportunities both in person and by telephone.
- Identify potential new investment prospects, perform initial review of business opportunities and present viable opportunities to the Investment Committee for consideration.
- Identify new Life Science sub-sector investment opportunities and supervise industry and competitive research performed by Principals, Associates, and Analysts.
- Identify new potential financial product offerings to further expand business.
- Negotiating New Business:
- Draft initial term sheets, expressions of interest, or letters of intent.
- Represent and negotiate with prospective portfolio company management or venture capital investors, as well as other third parties to discuss and finalize a signed term sheet.
Due Diligence and Documentation:
- Lead business due diligence and supervise Principals, Associates, and Analysts research through interviews with company management, financial sponsors, industry participants, and company customers/clients.
- Oversee Principals, Associates, and Analysts perform valuation analysis using comparable company data, proprietary financial models and, if applicable, DCF.
- Serve as primary interface with management of prospective portfolio company.
- Supervise construction of detailed financial models, including optimal capital structure, purchase price, adjustments and sensitivities to economic conditions.
- Draft investment memorandum for initial and final Investment Committee review and approval while supervising Associates and Analysts in this process.
- Review legal documents to ensure fidelity to deal terms under supervision of Chief Compliance Officer and Chief Financial Officer.
- Monitor and identifying monthly and quarterly trends in business of portfolio companies.
- Supervise Principals, Associates and Analysts in drafting quarterly credit monitoring reports, and analyzing credit issues and equity opportunities as they arise with portfolio companies.
- Other duties and projects as needed.
A Managing Director must demonstrate a high-level of achievement regarding deal origination, deal closes, realized investments, and maintaining as well as cultivating a robust network of contacts. A Managing Director will have:
- Minimum of ten years of prior work experience (with a Life Science industry focus) in investment banking, venture capital, private equity or leveraged finance.
- Experience in senior debt, asset-based financing, select equipment-based financing, subordinated or mezzanine debt and leveraged buyout firms.
- Extensive contacts in the private equity, venture capital and/or financial intermediaries’ communities.
- Strong analytical capabilities, financial modeling proficiency, excellent written and oral communication skills, a willingness to be proactive in contacting people and learning about new developments.
- Experience in senior management roles (including attending management meetings, involvement with deal structuring, pre and post investment portfolio management, etc.) in the transactions they sponsored or executed.
If interested, please apply here.