Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC) and its subsidiaries offer a broad range of financial services centered on banking. We are also engaged in the leasing, securities, investment, mortgage securitization, venture capital, and other credit-related businesses. We manage risk in a prudent, proactive, and professional manner to protect our stakeholders and their interest in our business.
As we continue to grow our presence in the Americas, SMBC is looking for talent to support our business goals. We encourage ongoing professional development and the success of our employees as SMBC continues to service its clients around the globe.
What is the Opportunity?
SMBC hosts a 10-week Summer Intern Program for undergraduate or master’s students who will have the opportunity to work on teams, be exposed to significant firm-wide projects within their respective business areas, and support a range of deals with our clients.
Our Summer Intern Program offers a hands-on experience in one of our business areas that allows individuals to:
- Meaningfully contribute to their team
- Attend sessions to hear from representatives of our various businesses and really get to know more about SMBC
- Learn about what other interns are working on
We offer many different opportunities including building financial models, developing client presentations, conducting research, and observing client meetings – all to improve your understanding of the global banking industry. Your internship culminates in a collaborative case study where you will apply the analytical, communication, and presentation skills you’ve developed over the course of the summer.
Our Summer Intern Program is an excellent gateway to our full-time Analyst Program.
How Our Program Works
- Hear from senior leaders about their careers at SMBC
- Learn Japanese by joining our Beginner Japanese language class
- Gain an understanding of our individual business and banking areas through daily assignments
- Visit Bloomberg offices for a behind-the-scenes tour and hand-on training with dedicated research analysts
- Network with senior management, junior employees, and current analysts at SMBC throughout a number of social events
- Learn from a junior and senior mentor as part of our mentorship program
- Volunteer with your fellow interns on a special community project
- Prepare and deliver a final case study
The successful candidate will possess or demonstrate the following personal and professional attributes:
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate (Junior) or Master’s degree from an accredited university with a graduation date of December 2020 / Spring 2021; excellent academic record
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with specific ability to communicate concepts and ideas concisely
- Financial modeling/valuation and analytical skills; keen interest in finance and markets
- Ability to comfortably interact with clients in a professional and mature manner
- Outstanding ethics, integrity, and judgment
- Intellectual curiosity
- Comfort in and commitment to a strong teamwork environment
- Highly organized, detail oriented, self-driven, and motivated
- Advanced Word, Excel, and PowerPoint skills and the ability to quickly learn new software applications
If interested, please apply here.