Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
One Acre Fund is seeking strong candidates for an internship in our New York office (currently working remotely due to the COVID-19 crisis). This is a unique opportunity to get exposed to the workings of a growing social enterprise. One Acre Fund relies on grant funding to support our operational deficit, but also takes on debt in order to finance working capital needs. The internship would be supporting the Investor Relations team at One Acre Fund, which manages the organization’s debt needs, identifies and grows relationships with lenders, and does various cash flow modeling to inform borrowing decisions.
You will support the Investor Relations Team with market research and general lender relationship management support, reporting to lenders, cash forecasting, and one-off analytical projects as needed. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Lender Relationship Management Support and Market Research
- Help put together outreach materials (presentations, analyses, etc.) for new and existing lenders and update current materials
- Assist the Investor Relations team in preparing for lender meetings
- Conduct extensive market research into impact and socially responsible investing to identify new lenders that are aligned in mission with One Acre Fund
Reporting and Analysis
- One Acre Fund reports quarterly on its financials to its lenders. You will work on preparing the reporting package, by putting together reports and analyses of One Acre Fund’s performance
- Assist the Investor Relations team with other loan compliance management tasks (annual monitoring questionnaire, interest payments, etc.)
- Help put together our monthly short-term cash forecast, to monitor cash needs and inform borrowing decisions
- Manage liquidity dashboard
- One-off projects to support Investor Relations team or other teams in the Finance Department
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we deeply invest in our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training, and regular feedback on your performance. We’ll hold career reviews every one-three months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and gain rewarding technical experience.
We are looking for truly extraordinary candidates for a competitive internship position. Current graduate students in business, policy, or international relations programs are strongly encouraged to apply. If degree does not have a strong finance component, please hi-light prior experience working with financial statements and forecasts. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Solid communication skills; Ability to communicate information clearly and concisely both by email, memos, and verbally
- Good understanding of corporate finance; Some exposure to non-profit financial statement analysis preferred
- Strong knowledge of MS Excel (google sheets a plus)
- Experience with research and prospecting; You are able to think high-level and come up with creative strategies to research new markets, and at the same time you have the discipline to do several hours of methodical desk research
- Familiarity with and interest in impact investing and socially responsible investing
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Leadership experience at work, school clubs, volunteer organizations etc
- Top-performing undergraduate background (include GPA on your resume)
- Humility. We have a fantastic and likable team. We are looking for passionate people that combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service
- Flexibility and a willingness to take on varied tasks
- Ability to work both independently and part of a team depending on the project
- Ability to work remotely
- Undergraduate degree
- Language: English required
PREFERRED START DATE
As soon as possible
New York City
Interns will be provided with a reasonable stipend for the duration of their contract.
3 months. Ideally between mid May and mid August.
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
No; must have existing rights to work in the United States of America.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.