Amex Ventures is looking for a Summer Associate to join the team in New York, NY. The Amex Ventures team plays a key role in developing and executing long-term corporate strategic initiatives which contribute to American Express’ market leadership and growth. The team invests in innovative startups to accelerate American Express’ efforts in three primary categories: Consumer Commerce, B2B Services and Core Capabilities such as data analytics and security.
Team members work with senior management, C-level executives and business leaders across the company to source, execute and manage equity investments both domestically and internationally. The team also initiates and executes non-organic business development and strategic initiatives.
In this exciting opportunity, the Summer Associate will be exposed to focus areas and activities across the breadth of the Amex Ventures mandate over the course of the summer. The role will support the development of investment theses and evaluation of accompanying new investment opportunities. The role may also include strategic involvement with the Amex Ventures portfolio companies, such as evaluating follow-on investment opportunities or managing strategic initiatives between Amex business units and a portfolio company.
Primary responsibilities may include:
- Leading aspects of investment thesis development aligned to strategic focus areas, conducting market and industry analyses
- Supporting deal pipeline activities, such as sourcing and evaluating investment opportunities with a focus on strategic fit with American Express
- Managing aspects of the portfolio management process, such as evaluating follow-on investment opportunities
- Developing and managing strategic initiatives with portfolio companies, with a focus on enhancing portfolio company relationships with Amex
- Preparing and communicating results and recommendations to investment team and senior business partners
- The role is a multi-faceted one and requires investment, strategic, operational, and interpersonal skill sets.
- 3-5 years previous experience in one or a combination of the following: venture capital, private equity, strategy consulting, operating role at a leading technology company or venture-backed startup
- Strategic mindset, with the ability to identify and assess key points, implications and recommendations and to provide thought leadership
- Strong communication skills, and proven ability to influence and collaborate with others to drive results
- Interest in strategic investments, technology, financial services and the payments industry; intellectual curiosity and self-starter
- Currently a first year student at a top-tier MBA program, with availability between May and August 2019
Life at American Express
American Express is known for backing our customers to help them achieve their goals and dreams, both big and small. At American Express, we’re changing the way people live and work through meaningful projects with real-world impact. When you join our team you can make a difference by improving the everyday lives of customers around the world.
Growing great leaders is one of the things that sets American Express apart. Every employee has the opportunity—and is encouraged—to take their personal leadership to the next level through a wide variety of leadership and learning programs.
If interested, please apply here.