The Principal is a part of the American Express Ventures team based in New York, NY (visit our website amexventures.com for more on the team). The Amex Ventures team plays a key role in developing and executing long-term corporate strategic initiatives which contribute to American Express’ market leadership and growth. The team invests in and partners with innovative startups to accelerate American Express’ efforts in consumer commerce and B2B services, and to enhance core capabilities such as data analytics and security. Team members work with senior management across the company to execute equity investments, both domestically and internationally.
This team has invested in over 50 companies, supported the launch of over 30 innovative partnerships with startups, and currently manages a portfolio of over 40 investments. We are looking for a Director/Principal who can continue this momentum and help us drive success at scale.
Job Responsibilities: In this exciting opportunity, the incumbent will be an integral part of the Ventures group leadership, to ensure the team continues to drive innovation for American Express and value for our portfolio companies. This role will lead the identification, evaluation and execution of new investment opportunities, as well as lead the development and piloting of new business ideas in partnership with startups.
Primary Responsibilities Will Include
- Developing investment theses and conducting market and industry analyses
- Leading the identification, evaluation, execution, and management of investments
- Developing innovative new growth opportunities for American Express, supported by partnerships with startups; this will include identifying the opportunity, building and pitching the business case, developing/executing pilots, and managing our startup partners
- Ongoing monitoring and management of financial performance and strategic relationships with portfolio companies
- Preparing and communicating results and recommendations to investment team and senior business partners
- The role is a multi-faceted one and requires financial, strategic, and interpersonal skill sets
- 7-10 years previous experience must include both financial/deal experience (i.e. investment banking, investing, or consulting) and strategy/partnership experience (i.e. corporate venture capital, consulting, business development)
- Self-starter with interest in corporate innovation, startups, technology, financial services
- Strategic mindset, with the ability to identify and assess key points, implications and recommendations and to provide thought leadership
- Team player with proven ability to influence and collaborate with others to drive results
- Demonstrable leadership, communication & analytical skills
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA preferred
If interested, please apply here.