As an Associate you will be a key part of a lean, growing and entrepreneurial team based in NYC that is seeking to build the next great consumer/consumer-tech investment franchise. We have a flat organization where all investment professionals have a seat at the table and can play an active role. We are collaborative by nature but operate with a high level of autonomy.
Vanterra is an SEC registered global private equity and advisory firm founded in 2008. The Firm operates in a number of industries and strategies including private equity, credit, venture capital, and fund anchoring. The Associate will mainly be focused on Vanterra Ventures – a Consumer and consumer tech focused venture fund that Vanterra launched in late 2018. The Fund was established to capitalize on the unprecedented market disruption taking place within consumer and consumer-tech. The Fund has a flexible investment mandate that invests $500k to +$10mm checks in “series seed to series c” companies, initially writing smaller checks and scaling more capital into the best performers over time.
Focus sectors within consumer primarily focus on the “better for the environment, better for society, and better for you” space. This includes functional food & beverage, vitamins/minerals/supplements, sustainable apparel, natural personal care, and general CPG (e.g., Daily Harvest, Hu Products, Naadam, cleancult, Quip, Dose)
Focus sectors within consumer tech include i) “picks and shovels” technologies that are helping fuel the digital revolution, ii) unique digital technologies that improve the customer experience, and iii) companies utilizing unique technologies to scale revenue. The candidate has the opportunity to also be involved in other Vanterra platforms and opportunistic co-investments outside of the Consumer Fund.
- Leading aspects of due diligence and executing investments
- Financial modeling including analysis of financial statements, KPIs, valuations, and returns
- Creating investment presentations and transaction memos regarding new investment opportunities, including both Powerpoint and Word presentations
- Portfolio Monitoring: Monitoring and evaluating ongoing performance of portfolio company investments
- Actively assisting portfolio companies through value-add operational initiatives
- Creating research reports and conducting competitive analyses to identify attractive areas of investment
- Consistently having a discernable opinion on emerging themes
- Identifying companies of interest and proactively sourcing new investments
- Presenting investment proposals to investment committee and actively participate in discussions and decisions
Ideal Candidate Qualities
- 2-4 years of experience within growth equity/VC, early-stage operations, or investment banking
- Specific experience within the consumer or consumer-tech vertical is highly preferred
- Ability to independently lead aspects of due diligence in a comprehensive, proactive, and thoughtful way
- Strong presentation skills and ability to work well within Microsoft Powerpoint
- Strong analytics skills, understanding of financial concepts, and ability to work well within Microsoft Excel
- Strong writing skills and ability to work well within Microsoft Word
- Strong research skills and ability to create industry and competitive analyses as well as conduct thorough research on target companies
- Good communication skills and desire to interface with individuals inside and outside of the organization
- Self-motivated with a desire to work in a flat organizational environment
- Flexible and adaptable personal style with innate curiosity
- Can process information with speed, accuracy, and meticulous attention to detail
- Growth mindset with desire to help build a leading franchise
If interested, please apply here.