Torch Capital is a NY-based, early-stage venture firm investing in the next generation of mission-driven consumer brands and platforms. With a portfolio including Acorns, Compass, Ro Health, Naadam, Tia and Recess, we’re looking to partner with exceptional founders re-thinking the way consumers live, work, and interact with the world around them.
What you’ll do:
We are hiring a junior investor to join our six-person investment team. Because we have a small team, you will be exposed to all aspects of the fund in this role, and will play an integral part in the sourcing and due diligence of the next generation of consumer companies we invest in. Your core responsibilities include:
- Review pitches, meet with companies, conduct early market research, and evaluate products
- Manage our CRM and new deal flow that enters the pipeline from our respective networks
- Conduct due diligence (e.g., market analysis, competitive mapping, and financial analysis)
- Perform market research and identify areas of opportunity
- Source new deals for evaluation through your own network and through our resources
- Support the investment team on portfolio company management
This position is a two-year program based in NYC. There is subsequent opportunity to grow within the organization or pursue a range of parallel paths such as joining venture-backed startups, launching a company / fund, or joining other leading venture capital firms.
What we’re looking for in you:
- You have 1-2 years of experience in investment banking, consulting, corporate strategy, venture capital/growth investing or at a consumer/tech startup.
- You are a structured learner who will take ownership to outline and execute diligence plans, identify and form relationships with future founders, and bring in strong investment opportunities.
- You have a “no-task-is-too-small-or-big” mindset and are comfortable with ambiguity. When you are faced with something unfamiliar, or need to get something done, you make it happen. You do what it takes to deliver results for your team.
- You have high attention to detail and operate like a detective; when diligencing new companies, you are always looking for points to probe into and research further to get the full picture.
- You are a multitasker, and you thrive while juggling multiple projects at once. You are highly organized and have a structured system for completing tasks/projects while constantly re -prioritizing according to evolving needs.
- You have a strong interest in consumer brands and platforms, and are somewhat familiar with standard venture terms, or you are curious to understand them more deeply.
How to Apply:
Please email email@example.com with your resume, the subject “[Recruiting] First name Last name, and answers to the below questions by Friday 10/22 for consideration. Please keep each answer to 500 words max.
1. What is the investment thesis you are most excited about?
2. What are three companies you think Torch should invest in and why?
3. Optional: What core qualities make you unique?