Standard Investments is a multi-billion dollar crossover fund spanning early stage venture investing, venture growth investments and public market equities. We are a fundamentally-driven investment platform focused on the intersection of industry and technology. Standard Investments deploys capital flexibly and creatively across the public and private markets, spanning the full life cycle of a company. We leverage our deep industrial knowledge and operational experience to create value. Example prior investments include Claroty, ASAPP, Desktop Metal, Rivian, Proterra, Fictiv, Poka and Saildrone.
Standard Investments’ Ventures team specifically invests in early-to-growth stage companies focused on technology and business model innovation, which enable businesses to be more data-driven, customer-centric and environmentally sustainable. We look for companies that are building the next generation of transformational technologies and target the following verticals: Enterprise SaaS, Data Applications and Infrastructure, Industry 4.0, Advanced Manufacturing, AI/ML, Supply Chain & Logistics, Mobility, Built World Tech, Electrification and other Deep Tech fields. We work hand-in-hand with innovative entrepreneurs eager to redefine traditional sectors and introduce a more modern approach to infrastructure, goods and services.
The Role & Responsibilities
The Ventures team is looking for an Associate and/or Sr. Associate to join its growing team. This person will work very closely with the MDs and will participate in all stages of the investment process. This is an opportunity to be a utility player on a small team within a larger crossover fund, with plenty of opportunity for growth and development.
What will you do?
Deal screening and evaluation
- Evaluate and assess the viability of investment materials we receive from potential companies
- Lead and participate in meetings with entrepreneurs, portfolio companies, and industry stakeholders
- Build and maintain detailed company financial models and other analyses to support due diligence
- Lead key pieces of diligence on investment opportunities and deal processes
Market research & thesis development
- Identity and evaluate potential investments in early & growth stage companies through financial due diligence, market research, and competitive analysis
- Develop in-depth industry expertise and thesis road maps to inform sourcing, due diligence, investment efforts
- Manage internal reporting processes for the investment team, including pipeline trackers and proprietary firm databases
- Drive sourcing of new investment opportunities through outreach and networking, and lead initial screening
- Proactively identify and engage with exciting companies and entrepreneurs
- Create compelling, detailed investment recommendation decks for presentation to MDs
- Be a representative and champion for Standard Investments, deepening our network and strengthening our position in the ecosystem
Portfolio Company Support
- Oversee portfolio tracking and periodic reporting to MDs
- Support portfolio companies with strategy, hiring, business development, and planning for future financing
- Outstanding track record of experience at a venture capital fund, top-tier consulting firm, investment bank, or a venture funded business
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
- Corporate finance and valuation knowledge with the ability to understand the key drivers of company operating performance and returns
- Financial modeling capability with high attention to detail
- Motivated to work in a meritocratic, non-hierarchical environment, in which work ethic, humility, collaboration, and a roll-up-your-sleeves mentality are critical
- Nimble, highly responsive, able to pivot quickly between projects and priorities and meet time sensitive deadlines
- Sense of ownership of work product and the ability to handle several projects simultaneously and prioritize work based on deadlines, often working with multiple managers
- Demonstrated creative thinking and intellectual curiosity with uncompromising ethics and integrity
- Passion for early stage disruptive technology
- Technical background a plus
If interested, please apply here.