The Rockefeller Foundation is seeking an experienced Associate, Innovative Finance.
As Associate for Innovative Finance, you will play a critical role in executing the Innovative Finance team’s Zero Gap program while also supporting other innovative finance initiatives for the Foundation’s Program teams (i.e. power, health, food, climate/resilience and jobs). Reporting to the Director for Innovative Finance, and working closely with the Managing Director, Manager and Senior Associates for Innovative Finance, you will play a multi-faceted role on a rapidly growing team. This includes supporting on grants and investments in line with the Foundation’s Innovative Finance and Program strategies and supporting the overall operations of the Innovative Finance team and the implementation of its new strategy.
The Innovative Finance team deploys grant and investment funding to achieve outsized impact. A critical part of the Innovative Finance team’s emerging strategy is the growth of Impact Investment Management (IIM) – a wholly Foundation-owned investment management platform focused on aggregating and deploying concessional capital. The Associate will support the overall operations of the Innovative Finance team including support with improving and executing on internal processes, grant and investment management, preparation of internal reporting and communication materials, events coordination, and assistance with special projects. This portion of the role will involve a diverse set of activities and require working closely with the Director and Managing Director to implement new elements of the Innovative Finance strategy. In addition to supporting the operations of the team, the Program Associate will support the Manager and Senior Associates in carrying out research and liaising with external experts on grant and investment transactions being deployed in service of IIM’s inaugural fund – the $60 million Zero Gap Fund.
This position offers a rare opportunity to work on cutting-edge ideas in innovative finance to drive impact and offers strong opportunities for professional growth. The role will generate functional experience in innovative finance, as well as experience in operations, venture philanthropy, strategy-setting and execution. The work will be fast-paced, diverse, and spread across multiple projects simultaneously. The role requires travel both domestic and international. The successful candidate will need to blend flexibility with disciplined execution in their work approach in order to manage competing demands and deliver high quality work.
You are the right fit for this role if you have a passion for the intersection between finance and social impact, an entrepreneurial spirit, strategic mindset, and ability to work efficiently in a fast-moving environment. The ideal candidate will also bring excellent interpersonal abilities complemented with strong analytic skills, judgment, and practical sense to make things happen.
Location: New York, NY
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Organizational and Operational Support
- Support the Director and Managing Director on special projects related to the execution of the Innovative Finance team’s strategy.
- Support with improving and executing on internal processes (e.g., related to grant and investment management, management of third party relationships, training, etc.).
- Support with the preparation of internal reporting and communication materials.
- Research to identify new trends and developments across the field of innovative finance and impact investing.
- Support the management of interns and related temporary staff on an as needed basis.
- Event coordination – logistics, content, and partner management including coordination of meetings led by grantees or other outside partners and hosted by the Foundation.
- Other duties including: helping to develop budgets, contributing to written narratives and analyses of the Foundation’s work, and serving on various internal committees and / or task forces.
- Produce blogs and other thought leadership to be published on the Foundation’s website or externally.
- Represent the Innovative Finance team at internal meetings, from programmatic discussions to budgeting and other core functions.
Grants and Investment Execution Support
- Support other members of the Innovative Finance team, particularly the Manager and Senior Associates, in sourcing and selecting grants and investments for the Foundation’s Innovative Finance portfolio (including IIM and Program team strategies). The Associate will carry out the following activities on an as needed basis in support of other members of the Innovative Finance team:
- Source – develop and maintain a network to identify pipeline for the Foundation’s Zero Gap and Program portfolios.
- Select – working with the Innovative Finance team, select transactions to advance into the investment process given alignment with the Foundation’s impact priorities.
- Post-investment management – working with the Innovative Finance team, support grantees and investees on reporting, communications and outreach to potential partners.
- Support the management, both financial and impact, of existing investments in coordination with the PRI Portfolio Manager.
- Manage ongoing relationships with investees in coordination with the PRI Portfolio Manager.
- Support the development and implementation of strategies for the Innovative Finance team and IIM platform.
Grant Sourcing, Due Diligence and Management Support
- Support the Innovative Finance Manager and Senior Associates on:
- Identifying new trends and developments across the field of innovative finance and impact investing.
- Identifying and consulting with technical experts to evaluate grant proposals and/or areas of potential intervention.
- Conducting quantitative and qualitative industry/sector analyses to inform learning and decision-making. This could include (but is not limited to) landscaping, market-sizing analyses, and impact modeling.
- Generating grant overview reports to support internal decision making on new opportunities.
- Drafting documents and manage internal approval process.
- Assessing and developing new systems and processes for grant diligence.
- Supporting grantees with request for input from the Foundation and any amendments needed to their grant agreements.
- Reviewing grantee reports, commenting on grantee reports and other deliverables/products of The Rockefeller Foundation supported work.
Education, Experience, and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Concentration on Finance, Economics, Applied Math or a related analytical discipline preferred.
- 2 – 4 years relevant work experience, private sector experience is preferred (finance, consulting, impact investing, venture capital, private equity, etc.).
- Proven track-record of top performance and value-added contribution to project teams.
- Computer proficiency in: MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Internet search skills, PowerPoint, and ability to learn new applications quickly.
- Experience with hypothesis-driven problem solving; comfort pushing through ambiguity.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Communication: Excellent interpersonal abilities; good listening skills; excellent writing and verbal skills; assertiveness in presenting ideas.
- Decision-Making: Ability to work independently while evaluating risks and opportunities; uses analytical and problem-solving skills; takes initiative and drives for results; able to prioritize.
- Execution: Strong project management skills; meets deadlines; sense of urgency and responsibility; ability to multi-task and work under pressure; detail oriented.
- Integration: Accesses functional and substantive expertise organizationally; demonstrates inclusiveness, collaboration.
- Creative Thinking: Develop original ways of working; identify value in early stage projects; draw connections on where path is unclear.
- Partnership and Relationship Building: Strong professional representation of the Foundation, interpersonal abilities, intercultural knowledge and appreciation, strategic partnership building.
- Analytic Ability: Breaks down complex problems and concepts into manageable segments; understands and articulates key drivers; demonstrated ability to deliver insights.
- Flexibility: Can operate within a collaborative working culture, comfortable with uncertainty, as well as quick acceleration of project development when needed.
If interested, please apply here.