Differential Venture Partners, a New York-based venture capital firm, is seeking an Associate to join our growing team. The ideal candidate will have strong analytical skills and prior experience working in venture capital, investment banking, and/or tech companies. You will definitely need to have a passion for technology and startups!
About Differential Ventures
Differential Venture Partners (DVP) is founded by data scientists and entrepreneurs for data-focused entrepreneurs. We invest in seed stage core technology companies with a unique advantage in AI/machine learning that are poised to transform the way business works. The companies in our portfolio are creating the future of financial services, data science, hiring, manufacturing and more. Our partners include recognized experts in the fields of machine learning and computer science; sales and marketing strategy; and finance and governance. Because of our hands-on experience as entrepreneurs, data scientists, and VCs; Differential is uniquely positioned to be the first institutional check into a startup and to help scale our portfolio companies to the next stage of growth by providing support across all functions of the business.
Main Job Responsibilities
- Actively source, evaluate, and present investment recommendations to Differential’s investment committee about potential investment opportunities.
- Curate the investment opportunity pipeline and effectively manage communication with founders.
- Work with the DVP Partners to perform due diligence of potential portfolio companies.
- Help identify and execute opportunities to propel portfolio companies to greater success. Examples include helping to identify key hires, business development assistance, customer introductions, financial and fundraising planning and becoming a highly respected, trusted confidant to our founders.
- Lead industry research efforts and present findings to the DVP team.
- Help our team identify and track prospective portfolio companies and industries in which we are interested, such as applied machine learning and artificial intelligence, FinTech, Cybersecurity and others.
- Be active in the New York startup community through meet-ups, conferences and writing thought leadership pieces. Enhance DVP’s network, marketing and communications.
Your Skills and Characteristics
- Ability to work full-time in New York City.
- Deep interest in technology, entrepreneurship and business.
- Self-motivated, creative and highly productive. We are looking for a person with a committed work ethic who is able to envision, prioritize and complete parallel projects without requiring hands-on guidance in a fast paced, fluid environment. Excellent multitasking skills and a willingness to own your projects.
- Entrepreneurial and scrappy ability to get things done.
- Ability to earn the trust of founders, co-investors, and other valued partners.
- Strong analytical skills. Ability to (i) quickly evaluate the key questions, risks or upside to an investment opportunity, and (ii) prioritize and execute due diligence to flesh out these issues.
- Strong financial analysis skills. You will be able to dive quickly into a business plan or financial model, identify and judge key business drivers or vulnerabilities.
- Strong business and personal judgment.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Strong critical thinking and discussion skills. Unafraid to advocate for and debate your opinion.
- Desire and willingness to learn, give and take feedback and challenge conventional thinking.
- An ability to identify important tech trends and business models.
Preferred Prior Experiences
We are open to all types of professional backgrounds, however, the most successful Associates typically have experience in one or more of the following areas:
- 2-4 years in venture capital, management consulting, or investment banking
- Startup or tech company operational experience a plus
- Experience in the New York, SF, Toronto, and/or Israel ecosystem is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Business, Economics, Accounting/Finance or Computer Science or Engineering
- Pre-MBA preferred
- Very strong Microsoft Excel skills
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary dependent upon experience
- Annual discretionary bonus
- Company contribution to health, dental, and vision insurance
- Other benefits available through payroll provider
- Paid time off
Differential Venture Partners embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
IF interested, please apply here.