Emerald Development Managers is an early-stage VC firm investing in elite scientific and engineering teams that are solving real problems. Deals are sourced from decades-long relationships with academic research institutions, operating managers, incubators, and like-minded VCs. Emerald’s expertise was developed over 25 years of funding venture capital and commercializing university research while simultaneously gaining invaluable experience founding, building, and operating an industrial unicorn that has returned over $1 billion to investors and still has a current market value over $1 billion. In addition to capital, we bring experience, discipline, critical thinking, financing expertise, and significant hands-on involvement to the companies we support. Emerald’s three main investment focus areas are: i) Cybersecurity / Enterprise SaaS, ii) Biotech / Med Tech / Healthcare IT, and iii) Clean Tech / Materials Science / Industrial Tech.
The Portfolio Analyst Role We are looking for a Portfolio Analyst for our NYC office to work closely with our portfolio companies, monitor and report on their performance, conduct research, and assist with ad hoc projects and other initiatives. This person will be part of our core team.
As a small team, we all do a lot of everything, but expect this role will consist of:
1. Portfolio Company Projects & Support. We work closely with our portfolio companies and strive to add value wherever and whenever we can. This includes a wide range of activities, such as engaging in market research, tracking and analyzing competitors, making contacts, helping map out a new market or product, or developing/creating/editing slides for company pitch decks. This individual should also be proactive and take the lead on coming up with new ways to add value to portfolio companies.
2. Portfolio Company Monitoring & Reporting. We closely monitor portfolio companies and their competitors, staying on top of company financials, key performance indicators (KPIs), technological progress, new product / service launches, and other key developments.
3. Research. We are looking for someone who can provide research support in a variety of different fields, both for our portfolio companies and internal needs.
4. Ad Hoc Projects and Everything Else. As needed, this individual will also engage in ad hoc projects that are internally and externally focused.
Qualifications We’re looking for a self-starter who can and will think outside the box. Someone who is proactive, can wear multiple hats, juggle multiple projects at once, and think creatively to identify new ways to add value to both portfolio companies and the firm. Above all, we are seeking a bright person who is constantly learning, able to retain what they’ve learned to apply it in new contexts and has a strong interest in start-ups and / or venture capital. The ideal applicant will be a recent college graduate. We are open to a variety of different majors and backgrounds – that said, internship or full-time experience in start-ups, consulting, research, marketing, data analysis, science/technology, financial services, or similar roles is a big plus.
• Curiosity – Questioning assumptions and asking the right questions are a large part of what we do. Curiosity is critical to getting the most out of the journey, so don’t be afraid to explore beyond the obvious.
• Independence – This role will be in-person in NYC, but we all often work remotely. Flexibility is preferred.
• Initiative – We’ll often give you high-level assignments, but as you learn more about a company or sector you should be telling us where you think we can help portfolio companies, the questions we missed, etc.
• Willingness to Learn – We have a broad focus and look at a lot of different sectors. We don’t expect you to be an expert in everything, but we do expect you to learn (we will help) what you need to get the job done.
• Strong Writing and Communication Skills – This position will involve communicating internally with team members and externally with portfolio company management and employees. Strong, clear writing and communication skills are essential for this role.
• Demonstrated Familiarity with PowerPoint & Excel – In addition to writing, this role will involve making slides, building tables and charts, etc. so demonstrated familiarity using these tools is required.
• Preferred: Familiarity with Business Concepts / Financials– While not required, a demonstrated knowledge of business concepts and financial statements will be looked upon favorably.
• Spring 2022 or recent graduate of a top undergraduate program and authorized to work in the US. (0 to 4 years work experience)
Emerald is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Expectations and Compensation
• Target Start Date – June 2022
• Compensation – Competitive with market, as appropriate based on experience.
How to Apply
Please send an email to email@example.com with i) a copy of your resume and ii) a brief write-up detailing an emerging sector, market, or technology that you find fascinating and why. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply as soon as possible!
If interested, please apply here.