Columbia University Investment Management Company, LLC, (“IMC”) is one of the leading endowment management organizations in the world. It offers an extraordinary investment management career opportunity to a particularly qualified candidate. The IMC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Columbia University charged with managing Columbia’s endowment for the current and future support of operations and with preserving the purchasing power of the endowment over the long-term after inflation. Most, but not all, funds are managed externally in a diversified strategy that uses active and passive management techniques across a range of asset classes and geographies.
**This is a 24-month position with an anticipated start/end date of July 2022/July 2024**
**This position is located at 405 Lexington Avenue in New York City**
**This position is benefits eligible**
Columbia University is one of the world’s most important centers of research conducting path breaking research in medicine, science, the arts, and the humanities, and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions.
We are committed to attracting and retaining the best and brightest in the workforce to support our mission of excellence in higher education and research.
The IMC seeks highly motivated professionals who can contribute materially to the management of the portfolio in an environment that employs a collaborative generalist approach in which team members are exposed to and expected to add value to as much of the portfolio as possible. The IMC is a flat organization in which independent thinking, open dialogue and new ideas are actively encouraged. Team members are expected to develop professionally, work collaboratively across asset classes, and assume greater responsibilities according to ability and progress.
The Investments Analyst will report to the Chief Executive Officer but will work under the close supervision of other senior investment team members as an integral part of the generalist investment team assisting in with all functions (qualitative and quantitative) pertaining to the management of the portfolio.
- Learning and contributing to the ongoing development of a well-constructed investment process for investing in managers across asset classes (equities, real estate, real assets, hedge funds, private equity, venture capital, and other public markets strategies) and a variety of geographies.
- Contributing to all aspects of the manager selection process, including sourcing, due diligence and analysis of managers’ performance and portfolios. Learn existing analytical framework for evaluating managers and contribute ideas for additional relevant analyses.
- Assisting senior team members with monitoring managers on an on-going basis through assessing performance and investment reports, dialoging with managers and conducting ongoing research. Contribute ideas for enhancing monitoring activities.
- Keeping abreast of market conditions for various strategies, including assisting with and developing relevant analyses of particular investment strategies, sectors and geographies.
- Assisting team members with high-level asset allocation and risk management. Work with colleagues in order to contribute to the overall asset allocation and risk allocation process through developing a fluid understanding of the asset allocation framework and conducting ongoing research and analysis for the overall IMC investment portfolio.
- Developing and utilizing a solid industry network including other investors and consultants.
- The Investments Analyst will also perform other related duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent required, preferably in Finance, Economics, or a quantitative field, plus demonstrated strong academic performance.
- Two years related experience required.
- Investing or other relevant experience in asset classes, specific sectors/industries/geographies, or other areas that will contribute to IMC’s overall evaluation and pursuit of investment opportunities strongly preferred.
- Strong critical thinking skills, a high degree of intellectual curiosity, and a desire to take on greater responsibilities and leadership are all required to be a successful member of the IMC team.
- Demonstrated ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively in a demanding environment required.
- Demonstrated passion for investing.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills required to effectively communicate with a variety of audiences.
- Must have the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines for short, long, and ad-hoc assignments.
- Must be detail oriented and have excellent spreadsheet and analytical skills.
- Must have a commitment to exceptional quality, have the highest ethical standards, and have the vision to enhance and further develop IMC’s portfolio.
- Must have a passion for excellent customer service and commitment to exceptional quality.
IF interested, please apply here.