Work Location: Remote or Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation national headquarters in midtown New York City.
Travel: Employee will be expected to travel to represent the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation at meetings and conferences, up to 15% time. Employees working remotely will be expected to travel periodically to Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation national headquarters in midtown New York City.
The Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation (‘Foundation’) is a leading patient advocacy organization and research funder dedicated to accelerating towards cures for inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) and alleviating suffering caused by these diseases. To further this mission, the Foundation has established venture philanthropy programs to fund and accelerate the development of innovative research-based products with the potential to address unmet needs of patients with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. These programs include:
- Highly competitive funding of companies and academic organizations to advance product-oriented R&D projects
- Drug discovery activities executed collaboratively with academic organizations, a drug discovery organization and Foundation staff
- IBD Innovate, the premier international conference dedicated exclusively to novel product development in the IBD space
The programs described above are part of a translational research portfolio focused on addressing gaps in the IBD research field and maximizing the likelihood that research advances will result in concrete benefits for patients as quickly as possible. The translational research portfolio is part of the Foundation’s larger research continuum, which includes basic, clinical, patient-facing and healthcare services research. These programs comprise a wide range of support mechanisms, from traditional investigator-initiated grants to consortium-based projects actively managed by Foundation research staff.
For more information about the Foundation’s programs, please refer to the following select links, as well as our recent peer-reviewed open-access publications:
The Foundation seeks to recruit an exceptionally motivated individual for the full-time role of Senior Manager of Research Innovation. The Senior Manager will report to the Director of Research Innovation, and will work closely with the Vice President of Translational Research, Chief Scientific Officer and additional Foundation colleagues focused on research and industry relations. The Manager will also interface with external expert advisors and stakeholders from diverse sectors. The Manager will be responsible for managing key aspects of IBD Ventures. In particular, the manager will ensure that high-impact projects are selected, funded and executed according to the highest standards of scientific rigor, innovation and efficiency. The ideal candidate will be a highly organized, disciplined and productive team player with a strong scientific background, exceptional written and oral communication skills, solid judgment, ability to take initiative, ability to set and adhere to organizational priorities, ability to think and learn quickly, and a sense of pace and urgency and dedication to the Foundation’s mission. Job functions include, but are not limited to:
- Manage all aspects of the IBD Ventures program, including:
- Proactively create interest in IBD Ventures through various forms of outreach to identify potential investment opportunities
- Identifying opportunities, guiding applicants, soliciting proposals, managing review processes
- Providing critical input to applicants regarding alignment of proposed projects with Foundation’s priorities, programs and selection criteria
- Negotiating & closing funding agreements
- Ensuring adherence to Foundation policies regarding scientific review, integrity and confidentiality
- Generate and deliver reports and presentations for diverse audiences, including industry, academic and donor audiences
- Track progress and provide oversight and project management for contract research organizations and other vendors
- Coordinate and manage all aspects of IBD Innovate, the Foundation’s innovation conference
- Advise Foundation colleagues on scientific matters ensuring accurate interpretation of current scientific understanding
- Advanced degree in a science or engineering field.
- 2+ years’ experience in a life sciences industry or nonprofit setting (e.g. pharmaceutical, biotechnology or diagnostics)
- Understanding of the drug discovery and development process
- Demonstrated accomplishment in program/project management for research programs
- Experience managing contract service providers, particularly for research activities
- Exceptional oral and written presentations skills, including ability to rapidly integrate and summarize complex scientific topics for diverse audiences
- Firm understanding of scientific review processes
- Motivation to work in cross-functional matrix organization with a singular mission focus
- Respectful, humble and confident attitude
- Demonstrable willingness and ability to shift attention in a flexible fashion and to proactively identify and address challenges as they emerge
- Experience in the field of IBD, immunology, inflammation, gastroenterology and/or microbiome research
- Experience in drug discovery and development
- Experience in a startup company environment
- Demonstrable interest in entrepreneurship
- Experience with technology licensing
- Experience in developing, writing and managing requests for proposals and proposal review processes using a software platform such as proposalCentral
- Expertise using software tools such as Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Access, and searchable online databases (Pubmed, NIH Reporter, patent databases etc.)
IF interested, please apply here.