MetaProp is a New York-based venture capital firm focused on the real estate technology (“PropTech”) industry. Founded in 2015, MetaProp’s investment team has invested in 150+ technology companies across the real estate value chain. The firm manages multiple funds for both financial and strategic real estate investors that represent a pilot- and test-ready sandbox of 20+ billion square feet across every real estate asset type and global market. The firm’s investment activities are complemented by pioneering community leadership including the PropTech Place innovation hub, MetaProp Accelerator at Columbia University programs, global events NYC Real Estate Tech Week and Propel by MIPIM NYC, and publications Global PropTech Confidence Index and PropTech 101.
As award-winning investors, MetaProp’s team is among the most recognized thought leaders in this fast-growing industry and includes respected investment professionals, researchers, best-selling authors, TedX speakers, and professors. Our professionals have backgrounds in real estate, tech startups, investing, banking, and consulting, making us uniquely qualified to support and empower property’s entrepreneur and investor community.
MetaProp is hiring a Senior Associate for Startup Services. This Senior Associate will be responsible for the strategy development and execution of MetaProp’s entire range of startup support activities. The expectation is that he/she is prepared to be a thought leader and initiative driver within the firm, PropTech, and broader venture capital space. In addition, this hire will not only play an integral role in evolving the vision for the Startup Service function but also help to shape the broader firm strategy.
A candidate for this role loves startups, the entrepreneurial journey, and working with talented founders to help them accelerate their businesses. They also understand not just what a founder/CEO needs but also why a founder/CEO needs it.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Ideal candidates may have a combination of the following experiences/characteristics:
- Portfolio support, venture fund platform support, or startup community support role at a venture capital fund, accelerator, or incubator
- Ex-founder of an early-stage startup that has raised institutional capital
- Operations or partnerships lead at a high growth startup
- Corporate innovation leadership
- Strong real estate industry interest, expertise, and network
- Exceptional communications and project management skills
- Track record of success in a collaborative work environment and an independent work environment
- Ability to move and adapt as quickly to industry and organizational change
Reporting and Relationships
We operate a flat structure and this role works directly with all MetaProp team members. You will work primarily with and report to Zachary Aarons, Co-Founder, and General Partner.
Role and Activity Detail
As Startup Services lead you will manage/coordinate the firm’s startup support strategy and operational execution across MetaProp’s global portfolio. These activities require regular interaction with all MetaProp portfolio companies, partners, employees, and numerous external stakeholders.
- Portfolio support strategy, development, and reporting
- Own the Startup Services strategy. Identify high-impact opportunities for MetaProp to influence the growth of our portfolio companies and create value for our investors. Develop and lead the execution of thoughtful, efficient and effective strategies to capitalize on these opportunities. Areas of particular focus include customer development, fundraising, strategy, recruitment and brand building.
- Source and build a robust database of potential customers, talent, vendors, media contacts, experts, mentors and consultants.
- Take a lead role in database management, tracking, case study development and internal/external reporting on outcomes
- Facilitate peer learning among portfolio startups: collect and share best practices, identify mentorship opportunities among portfolio CEOs and alumni, host peer-led webinars and build knowledge sharing database for PropTech founders.
- Regularly ideate and test new initiatives for portfolio support
- Provide analytical and well-documented startup success reports to the rest of the team
- Startup onboarding and ongoing support
- 1:1 onboarding with each new portfolio company upon close of an investment
- Coordinating and project managing to completion all inbound requests for startup support
- Proactively suggesting value add, bespoke connections and opportunities to existing and prospective portfolio companies
- Managing the MetaProp expert and talent networks
- Liaise with startup executive teams to survey, analyze and define immediate and future support needs
- Startup programming/events
- Managing and improving programming such as the MetaProp Accelerator at Columbia University program
- Managing and improving Metaprop startup-facing content, community and events strategies
- Facilitating startup success at NYC Real Estate Tech Week and at PropTech Place
- Representing MetaProp at industry events
- Sourcing new startups, investors, advisors and partners into the firm’s network
- Generally keeping a pulse on the PropTech community
- Furthering MetaProp’s position as a thought leader in the PropTech market by contributing to thesis development and authoring and publishing market research and opinions.
- Upholding the firm’s core values of diversity, integrity, affordability/sustainability and entrepreneurship
- Assist with other business activities as directed by the Managing Partner
- Base salary
- Performance bonus
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume, a brief email outlining your interests, and the position in the subject line. We’ll be in touch if there’s a fit.