Etsy is seeking a Senior Director of Corporate Development, based in Brooklyn, as we grow our team. The mission of the Corporate Development team is to accelerate Etsy’s growth through strategic advisory, partnerships, and acquisitions
This position will report to the Chief Financial Officer. Your responsibilities include all aspects of corporate development, including but not limited to strategy development, project and team management for deal sourcing and deal execution, working with internal partners as well as external venture/financial advisory to raise and deploy investment capital to help Etsy grow its business. As part of this you will build and maintain a portfolio of information on a wide number of companies who are synergistic, competitive or adjacent to our space and/or those that offer unique technology or talent that may be interesting partners to build relationships with.
This work includes sourcing, evaluating, pitching, executing, and integrating deals that align with our long term Corporate Strategy. It will require developing and executing clearly laid out processes, extensive collaboration across teams both inside and outside Etsy, and clear and concise communication.
To be successful in this role you should be comfortable working with loosely-defined constraints, but always pushing for organization. You are a fast learner and structured thinker who is able to quickly synthesize input from many sources and deliver thoughtful, concise, and action-oriented deliverables. You love working with cross-functional teams and managing project execution. The Corp Dev team evaluates and advocates for deals that are additive to Etsy, but we are committed to ensuring fit, so you must be seen an internal partner, not a deal hound. You believe in the power of business to build value for customers and communities in addition to shareholders.
About the Role
- Investments and acquisitions: Run process for deal evaluation, execution, and integration. Pre-deal work involves researching new markets, developing investment theses, and evaluating deals in collaboration with product teams. Executing a deal means running point for the duration of the acquisition process, and entails tight collaboration with a variety of internal teams including product, legal, HR, and finance. Work will involve building financial models, writing investment summaries, building integration plans, and crafting processes.
- Partnerships: Identify and build relationships with a wide range of business partners to consider opportunities to work together in a commercial or strategic way. Prepare corporate-level competitive and industry insights.
- This role will interface with the full Executive Team at Etsy including the CEO and, on occasion, our Board of Directors. Good presentation skills and a comfort with leading discussions and debating pros and cons at the C-level both inside and outside the company are essential.
- Corp Dev is a small team. You will supervise one Senior Analyst.
- Help out where needed: The small nature of the Corp Dev team means we share in responsibilities as tasks arise.
- 10-15 years of work experience, including 10 years post-MBA, with experience in corporate development, private equity, venture capital, or investment banking
- Experience with consumer internet or related
- Ability to build and evaluate financial and/or valuation models
- Super organized. Process-oriented, but also a relationship builder
- You can work in a casual environment with a small team, with an understanding of the balance between having fun and getting stuff done.
- Experience managing projects across many internal and external people and teams, with strong organization and project management expertise
- Ability to bridge the gap between business and technical aspects of a deal.
- Speaking to engineers is a requirement.
- Prior experience with legal terms and agreements
- Excellent writing and communication skills
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your CV or resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
If interested, please apply here.