The David and Lucile Packard Foundation (Foundation) is a family foundation located in Los Altos, California. The Foundation is guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. Their approach to business and community participation has guided the foundation’s philanthropy for over 50 years. Today, their children and grandchildren continue to help guide the work of the Foundation.
The Foundation makes grants at the local, state, national, and international level. It works on the issues its founders cared about most, which are: improving the lives of children; enabling the creative pursuit of science; advancing reproductive health; conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems; and supporting and strengthening an array of local nonprofit organizations.
The Foundation made grantmaking awards of over $350 million in 2019. A staff of 130 conducts the day-to-day operations of the Foundation and a Board of Trustees oversees the work of the Foundation. David and Lucile Packard passed on to the Foundation the following core set of values: integrity; respect for all people; belief in individual leadership; commitment to effectiveness; and the capacity to think big.
The Investments team currently consists of 12 professionals under the direction of Chief Investment Officer Kim Sargent. The team consists of eight investment and four operational and administrative professionals. It is a high-performing, intrinsically motivated team that values collaboration, debate, and collective responsibility for the Foundation’s $7.4 billion portfolio. The team’s goal is to generate an annual payout to fund the Foundation’s grants by partnering with the best fund managers across the globe and across asset classes on a bottom-up basis.
The Foundation seeks a senior investment professional with a background in Private Equity and Venture Capital to help invest and manage the Foundation’s portfolio. The successful candidate will be a key member of the Investments team, collaborating on all aspects of portfolio management, including the sourcing, selection, and monitoring of investment managers for the portfolio, performing investment research, conducting portfolio and performance analysis, and presenting to the Investment Committee. He/she will have an opportunity to lead the team’s relationships in Private Equity, Venture Capital, and/or certain geographies such as Greater China, depending on his/her experience. This individual will also collaborate and give input on investments in other asset classes.
To be successful in this role, he/she will have a good foundation in Endowment and Foundation investing; be able to demonstrate leadership in a small, flat, and cohesive team environment; possess strong EQ, networking, relationship-building, and quantitative skills; have a strong global network; and have a long-term interest in Endowment and Foundation investing as a career.
As an integrated team within the Foundation, this individual will have opportunities to hear, participate, and learn about the Foundation’s programs.
- Key leadership role on the Investments team in all aspects of the investment process, including sourcing new investment ideas and relationships; leading meetings with existing and prospective managers; developing quantitative and qualitative evaluation of investment opportunities; supporting and advocating for investment views; and preparing investment recommendations for the Investment Committee
- Analyzing and synthesizing data relating to general investment concepts, as well as performance and exposures of individual managers, asset classes, and the overall portfolio and articulating key findings and trends
- Developing and maintaining key relationships with fund managers and peer institutions
- Teaching and mentoring staff
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Education
- A minimum of 10 years of work experience ideally to include an Endowment or Foundation investment management organization; alternatively, work experience at a sophisticated family office, fund of funds, OCIO, or perhaps a Venture Capital or Private Equity firm, with a strong interest in pivoting careers to an Endowment or Foundation
- Significant investment experience focused on Venture Capital and Private Equity; experience in China would be an added plus
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area; Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation complete, in progress, or intended; and/or Masters in Business Administration (MBA)
- Broad network of investment professionals and strong relationship building skills
- Experience managing and coaching direct reports
- Strong and demonstrated quantitative and analytical skills
- Strong orientation to detail and accuracy and excellent organizational skills
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Intellectual curiosity and ability to think critically
- Must be proactive and open to new challenges
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter, multi-task, and work well both independently and as a member of a team
- Comfortable and highly capable with Microsoft Excel, analyzing large amounts of data
- Familiar with MS Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Ability to work well under pressure and within a small team
- Able to travel as needed (25-30%)
If interested, please apply here.