M13 recently completed the first close on its $150M Fund II, making it one of the largest consumer tech-dedicated venture funds in the country. As we begin deploying capital, we seek to bring on an Investment Principal with a proven track record of consumer tech investing. This person will have the rare and exciting opportunity to drive all facets of the investment process; opportunity identification/sourcing, deal execution, and portfolio support. We need a leader who is well-equipped to take advantage of M13’s incredible network of LPs, advisors, and consumer tech entrepreneurs (check our M13 Overview Deck below), and has a proven ability to truly hit the ground running…at full speed.
What you’ll do:
- Research new markets and industry trends within the consumer technology space, conduct outreach to companies, and collaborate with M13 Partners to prioritize actionable opportunities
- Establish new and enhance existing relationships with founders and entrepreneurs to source world-class opportunities
- Manage due diligence process, prepare investment memos, and present thoughtful and rigorous analysis to the Investment Committee to assist with investment execution
- Maintain pipeline and portfolio management processes, tools and deal tracking, with the goal of exceeding the industry highest return for our investors among strong exits
- Ensure that investment and portfolio performance is routinely assessed and that reports are prepared on a timely basis for internal review and sharing with investors
- Support, engage, and mentor portfolio companies founders to maximize each venture success, which may include sitting on Boards at our portfolio companies
- Act as an ambassador for the firm and its portfolio companies by representing their respective interests at technology and investment conferences, industry events, and in the press
- Create processes and infrastructures to ensure long-term scalability of M13’s investment process via our proprietary M13 Playbook
What we’re looking for:
- Significant experience investing as a Vice President or Principal at a venture capital firm or corporate venture capital group
- Deep knowledge of the consumer and tech sectors, including products, trends, investors, and sophisticated and thoughtful understanding of the ecosystem
- Has a well-developed network of established relationships with other venture investors, corporate partners, and entrepreneurs with whom the candidate can source and develop deal flow
- Curious with an open-mind for disruptive consumer technology trends, products, and business models, across multiple domains
- Strong drive and the ability to self-direct; the scope of work is open-ended by nature and this person must be able to identify and execute on opportunities with little supervision
- Proven track record of directly managing and helping grow individuals at the Associate and/or Analyst level
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Health Package – Solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- Ample Paid Time Off – We provide PTO, sick days, and paid holidays; we’re focused on work/life balance
- Employee Profit Sharing Program
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Grow & Learn – Industry Events & Speakers Series
- Consistent & Fair Leadership – We’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Autonomy – Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Great Snacks & Free Lunch – Fully stocked kitchen, with kombucha and cold brew on tap, and weekly catered lunches
- One Team, One Dream – Chance to work alongside world-class talent, utilizing a world-class network, taking advantage of world-class opportunities
M13 recently completed a first close (70% in 8 weeks) on a $150M Fund II, making it one of the largest consumer tech-dedicated venture funds in the country with top-tier investors and advisors like Brian Lee, Sean Rad, Blake Mycoskie, Silas Chou, Hayes Bernard (Solar City), and many others. Prior to this new fund, M13 deployed $100M, building a portfolio that includes Lyft, Ring, Juul, Bonobos, ClassPass, Rothy’s, Daily Harvest, and many others. That portfolio has realized 14 exits (out of 84 investments), representing a 104% average gross IRR, a 6.6x MOIC, and a mark to market of 3x+ top quartile same vintage funds.
Our investment strategy will leverage the M13 Playbook – our IP developed through investing in and operating businesses simultaneously – to provide companies with unfair advantages and the ability to make better day to day decisions. This institutionalized platform of repeatable behaviors is designed to decrease risk (time & capital), all the while increasing the likelihood and magnitude of success for the companies that M13 invests in. The same methodology is also utilized by the Foundry who launches our own consumer brands at scale via a 4 phase process – finding underserved markets, testing consumer engagement, launching, and then accelerating the growth of brands.
We’ve assembled a world-class operating team around our 5 consumer pillars – brand, product, distribution, acquisition, and operations – who execute the Playbook to transform great ideas into extraordinary companies.
If interested, please apply here.