TenOneTen Ventures supports early stage companies founded by passionate, mission-driven entrepreneurs who share our belief that data is businesses’ most valuable asset. We respect founders’ work because we have been founders, with 5 venture-backed companies between general partners Gil Elbaz and David Waxman. We’re LA-based and we’ll invest anywhere as long as we can answer the question of why we’re the best investors for the job. If you are independent, curious, hard-working, and want to make your career in VC, come talk to us about joining the team!
The Associate or Principal will be involved in internal and external firm operations. TenOneTen operates with a very flat structure and is a small team. This is an opportunity to take on as much as you can handle.
The internally focused aspects of the position are:
- Due Diligence. Supporting due diligence, including writing investment memos, assessing competitive positioning, financial modeling, understanding macro trends, conducting customer / founder references, and any more aspects supporting TenOneTen’s decision to make an investment.
- Research / Insights. Researching and distilling insights through data from our platform, our advisor network, and independent research to develop investment theses.
- Portfolio Support. Partner with our portfolio companies to solve a broad array of both strategic & tactical initiatives.
- Expertise. Build expertise in areas of interest (e.g. enterprise software, big data, machine learning, AI, IoT, etc.)
The externally focused aspects of the position are:
- Deal flow. Sourcing new investments by building strong relationships with founders, using quantitative strategies, and being creative. Lots of hustle required.
- Build Networks. Launch, develop, and manage networks of people. This can range from VP-to-C-level executives to thought leaders and subject matter experts in their function or field.
- Events. Represent the firm at industry events.
- Have a voice. Craft and publish compelling content on best practices in functional areas (engineering recruiting, etc), industries/verticals (health-tech, fin-tech, etc) and categories (big data, AI, blockchain, etc).
- 6-10 years of progressive work experience.
- Prior experience as a founder or executive at a venture backed startup is highly desirable.
- Prior experience in venture is ideal.
- A passion for venture capital. This is not a pit stop in your career until you start your next company. Venture is your career.
- Based in (or will relocate to) Los Angeles.
- You have been making angel investments, regardless of size. If not, then actively tracking the asset class.
- A strong network, which will stem from alumni base (work/school) and your activity in market.
- Long held interest (and practice) in technology, both personally & professionally. A technical degree and/or prior technical work experience is highly desirable.
FIT / SOFT SKILLS
- You get energy from being around people. You are a consummate networker and relationship builder.
- You are a self-starter, able to work independently, and take initiative.
- You have outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, which will give you the ability to form deep relationships with a wide range of personalities – founders, executives, investors, partners, educators, and other audiences.
- You are a team player who is more interested in team-based, collaborative venture capital, not in building a solo portfolio or just your personal brand.
- You can thrive in an environment with lively debate and low ego, and are willing to change perspectives to drive towards a better collective understanding.
- Strong bias for action. You can’t imagine leaving for tomorrow what could be done today.
- You are personally highly data-driven, and make sure your team understands the “why” behind “what” they are building as well as “how” they are going to measure to understand success.
- You have a deep willingness to learn. Not everyone knows everything. You are comfortable with that but willing to put the work in to acquire new skills as needed.
How to Apply: You can reach us at: firstname.lastname@example.org In addition to your resume, please write a couple of paragraphs describing an early stage company you think is an interesting investment and why. (The company does not need to be currently fundraising.)