As Shell Ventures (SV) grows its presence in the London, we are recruiting a Venture Principal to join our London office. This is an exciting role for a seasoned innovation and venture investment professional to be a bridge between Shell and startups in the renewable/advanced energy, transportation and IT/Digital arenas. SV plays a pivotal role in leading Shell through the energy and digital transformations in the coming decades and we have a clear ambition to grow.
- Source investment opportunities through your network that have the potential to transform energy and transportation markets.
- Perform due diligence and develop the strategic investment case, including assessment of the value of the solution to Shell in close collaboration with Shell businesses and technology groups. Lead virtual Shell deal teams including representatives from various functional support groups including finance, legal, etc.
- Structure and negotiate the terms of the investments (SV leads investments and follows other VCs depending on deal dynamics). Validate and structure collaboration opportunities (e.g. joint development agreements, licensing, demonstration projects, investments, JV’s) that accelerate the deployment of technologies in Shell operations.
- Build a network internal to Shell including Shell R&D departments and business units to source opportunities, validate strategic relevance of investments, and inform technology and business innovation strategy.
- Position Shell as a world-class corporate investment partner for startups and VCs.
- Be a credible and compelling spokesperson for SV and the wider Shell Innovation group by speaking at conferences, authoring thought-pieces, hosting events, engaging with media, etc.
- Support the post close management of investments which can include taking a position as Board Director or Observer.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then we have grown into a leading innovative oil and gas company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation, and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering , Physical sciences or related field (additional Business Administration degree would be an preferred)
- Extensive experience in venture capital, with experience in the IT/Digital , mobility or energy/cleantech space
- Experience in all aspects of VC (Due Diligence to deal structuring, negotiating and post close deal management)
- Demonstrable expertise in energy, digital, mobility, consumer or related tech assessment, professional experience in a technical or operational role would be a plus
- Understands how technology or new business models can unlock new opportunities
- Strong professional network
- Strong commercial deal-making experience
- ‘Executive presence’ and the ability to represent SV in public forums
- Ability to build and maintain relationships within a complex, global corporation: some ‘corporate stamina’ is required.
If interested, please apply here.