BACKED is the maverick venture capital fund championing a new spirit of entrepreneurship in Europe.
Recognising that early stage teams need much more than funding, we’re exploring the limits of human potential through community and founder development. We want to see what’s possible with a kind of wholehearted, human-centric support that hasn’t existed before. Founders are our users: we shape everything we do around them: we’re in it together with them, for the whole brilliant, dark and messy journey.
Founded in 2015 by Andre de Haes and Alex Brunicki, we invest across sectors from cellular agriculture to fintech infrastructure to popular entertainment. Some of our investments to date include Thought Machine, LabGenius, THIS, Pollen, Harbr and Hutch Games.
Our journey so far
We’ve backed over 40 companies since our launch in 2015.
90% of the companies we have backed have already secured follow-on funding at significant valuation mark-ups, raising from the best Series A/B investors in Europe, such as Index Ventures, and in the US, such as Founders Fund.
Last year we were honoured to deploy a second fund to work alongside even more world-changing companies.
The Venture Fellow programme is part-time, time-limited and high-impact, with needle-moving responsibilities from day one. This is a rare and valuable three-month opportunity to gain first-hand experience assessing investment opportunities, taking first meetings with founders, supporting with due diligence, and leading special investment projects. What we ask in return is that you work hard and commit to the values at the centre of our business: put people first, bring good energy, be an apprentice, and push the limits.
Reporting to the Investment Manager, your key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Triaging opportunities referred to us through the Backed Community
- Assessing and responding to cold inbound pitches
- Exploring opportunities thrown up by our proprietary outbound sourcing mechanism
- General support on diligence for companies we are progressing
- General support at Investment Committee meetings
The ideal candidate will be:
- Able to demonstrate deep interest in Venture Capital and the tech startup sector;
- A digital native, comfortable using and discussing new technologies;
- A strong verbal & written communicator, and a firm advocate with diverse and competing senior stakeholders;
- Analytical to the core and able to understand complex, nuanced new ideas quickly;
- Innovative, able to recommend and source alternative solutions to improve investment processes; and
- Adaptable and flexible to meet the needs of a fast-paced environment.
- London living wage
- Flexible working
- Career-launching experience in VC
At Backed we are insistent that all our roles should be accessible, desirable & welcoming to talented people regardless of their background, and we hope we get many applications from people with diverse backgrounds. We were a launch partner to the #MovingForward movement in Venture Capital, and you can see our anti-discrimination and anti-harassment policy here
If interested, please apply here.