Talis is an early-stage venture capital firm on a mission to back technology founders who see the future differently. We partner with high-growth consumer & enterprise companies across Europe and US at Seed and Series A. Our portfolio of category-defining companies includes Carta, Darktrace, Onfido, and Ynsect.
Talis is built differently by design. We are a close-knit team, and we have always prided ourselves on our unconventionality. When it comes who we back, how we build and who we hire, we don’t let conventional wisdom stand in our way. We believe that to create different, you have to be different. We are now looking for an exceptional associate to join our team to help us find and continue to invest in the best early-stage startups.
As an associate, you will source and analyse prospective investments, support portfolio companies, conduct in-depth sector research, and manage models that deliver key insights on industry developments and trends.
At Talis, we pride ourselves on our collaborative approach as a team to do everything that it takes to help our founders build category-defining businesses. We’re looking for a risk-averse individual with a track record of making their own success in life through high their high IQ, EQ and ability to learn quickly. You’ll have:
- A passion for company building, intellectual curiosity, a “need-to-win” attitude, and immense appreciation for technologies that are changing the world we live in.
- A systems thinking mindset: we are specifically looking for individuals who have ability to separate causes from symptoms, and understand causality in complex systems.
- An entrepreneurial mindset: we’re big on teamwork and company culture, but we’re also looking for someone who thrives in developing their own investment theses and enjoys setting their own targets and deadlines. It’s important for us that you’re a self-starter who can take ownership and complete tasks with limited information and direction.
- A sense of curiosity: you’re not afraid to question or challenge opinions. Being highly analytical with strong communication is key to this role and we are seeking candidates who have a desire to see beyond the common view and mainstream trends, however disputed or complex they may be.
- Attention to detail that is second-to-none, and an ability to analyse data with accuracy and focus.
- 2–3 years’ experience within investment banking, management consultancy or private equity. We are also hiring for a more junior position, if you have just graduated or don’t have experience within any of these 3 sectors you can apply to our analyst role here.
Our values & DNA:
We believe that venture capital firms have a responsibility in funding companies that are building a better future. We want to back companies that not only drive potential financial returns but also benefit the society that we live in, we conduct rigorous environmental, social and governance (ESG) diligence on every company that we invest in.
Being sustainable is central to all of our operations at Talis. We’re committed to Tech Zero, aiming for net zero emissions by the end of 2021, as well as the UN’s Race to Zero, the Government’s SME Climate Hub community and we offset our emissions through conversation projects with the World Land Trust.
As a firm, we’re committed to improving diversity and inclusion within the venture ecosystem, with a dedicated Talis D&I working group to drive this change. As part of this work, we’ve been certified by the Diversity VC Standard, and we’ve also partnered with organisations like OneTech and Girls Into Coding, as well as recruitment programmes like FutureVC and 10,000 Black interns.
We hold a collective commitment to foster an environment where all differences between individuals are valued; practices are equitable, and everyone experiences a sense of belonging. At Talis, we believe in maximising the power of different perspectives and backgrounds in our team. Including varying points of view in our decision-making, operations and actions is fundamental to establishing long-term value for Talis, as well as long-term client, social and financial value. Through this, we demonstrate our organisation’s distinctiveness, drive innovation, build trusted relationships and enable exceptional experiences for the Talis team. Diversity and inclusiveness are core to how we live our values.
What we offer you:
At Talis, being entrepreneurial is part of our DNA. By joining us, you’ll become a part of a friendly, dynamic and non-hierarchical team. We pride ourselves on our open dialogue as a team: everyone has a voice that is heard and appreciated.
We believe that work/life balance and employee wellbeing are critical to productivity. We’ve got a number of policies in place investing in our employees, including:
- 3x team personal training sessions a week
- Weekly yoga sessions
- Mental health allowance
- Private medical insurance
- Life insurance
- Cycle To Work scheme
- Weekly team lunches
- 25 days annual leave, which increases by one day per year after two years (max. 30 days)
To get started, click on the yellow button on the top right.
You’ll answer some questions that relate to this role. Once you submit your application, your answers will go through our sift process: all answers will be anonymised, randomised and then reviewed by a panel of reviewers.
If you are shortlisted, we’ll invite you to the next step, which includes a telephone interview with our Chief of Staff and a member of the investment team. We love giving feedback, so at the end of the application process, we’ll share how well you performed through a personalised feedback link.
Expected duration of this application process: 4-6 weeks
If interested, please apply here.