Please apply here 👇
*Please note that for the question “According to you, what pre-seed/seed “platform” based in France should we invest in? Why?” the platform must be based in the UK (apologies for the form mistake!).
Who we are
Samaipata is a pan-European VC investing in digital platforms and marketplaces at Seed stage, with offices in Madrid, London and Paris — and soon Berlin!
We’re a founders’ fund, led by former entrepreneurs: José del Barrio, co-founder of La Nevera Roja, the leading Spanish food delivery marketplace up until its exit to Rocket Internet in 2015, and Eduardo Díez-Hochleitner, Chairman of MásMóvil, former Partner at Apax Partners and founder of a 3D sound system sold to Dolby.
Since the closing of our first €30m fund back in 2016, we have invested in 17 companies across Europe, such as Ontruck, Legl, Matera, Geomiq, Streamloots, Motley, Foodchéri, or Colvin (you can check out our full portfolio here). We are now in the process of closing our second fund (€100m) to continue investing in the best European early-stage platforms. Come join us! 🔥 More details on our investment thesis here.
What we have to offer
We operate like a real company, not a fund. And, as such, an Associate joining the team will:
- Be an integral part of a young, hungry and international squad with a flat hierarchy, where everyone is contributing to make our thinking stronger and our processes better!
- Be on a long-term partner track — not the typical 2-years associate graduate program 🙅♀️! Continuing to learn and improve everyday is our obsession and we will put every resource at your disposal to enable you to do so.
Also, as our 2nd hire in the UK, you will have a real impact on our strategy in the UK. At the end of the day, your role will be very entrepreneurial as we do not function very differently from the startups we invest in.
Finally, we are a remote-first company. So you can work from wherever you want ! And we can ensure a large amount of independence for doers. We’re here to support you, not to micromanage you.
What you will be doing
Your main area of responsibility will be dealflow origination & qualification for the UK market leveraging our existing internal tools, network & processes (at least at first) — both generating and managing inbound and outbound sourcing, allowing us to spot incredible teams before anyone else.
As an integral part of the team, you will be required to:
- Contribute to internal initiatives and improve our operational processes.
- Perform market research and write thought content pieces that can move the needle in the industry.
- Support deal making and the UK portfolio more generally.
You will also be responsible for strengthening our brand platform in the UK by:
- Representing Samaipata at industry events (remote and/or live) and support the local entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Launching diverse branding & marketing initiatives.
What we’re looking for
- We’re open to all types of educational backgrounds (i.e. Engineering, Business, Finance, Entrepreneurship, Law, Political Sciences, whatever 🤷♀️). We believe the strength of our team comes from having a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- >3 years of work experience in a challenging field.
- Native in English — both written & communication skills. Additional languages appreciated. Fluent in Chinese as a plus (understand why here!).
- A strong internet connection! As a remote-first company, you can perform the job wherever you want. You just need to live in a (+/-3h) CET time zone. This said, being based in London (or nearby) is a plus due to the prominent role the city plays in the UK tech scene.
- Be available to start in October.
All in all, we’re pretty flexible and open minded with regards to backgrounds and locations ! That being said, we’re looking for someone with superpowers 🧝♂️ and more specifically with:
1. A high intellectual curiosity
- You have an insatiable desire to learn, and a tendency to dig deep into obscure ideas.
- You have an authentic passion & drive for Tech and a deep respect for entrepreneurship. We also expect some previous familiarity & knowledge within the domain — you didn’t discover who Elon Musk was in the last year.
2. Strong analytical skills & a data-driven mindset
- You’re highly rigorous & exhaustive and you use data to inform decision making (to an extent where you annoy one’s friends).
- You have a strong business acumen.
3. A genuine ability to thrive as an Independent thinker
- You’re conviction driven: you always strive to challenge the status quo.
- You’re comfortable being a contrarian: you think for yourself, and you’re not risk averse!
- You’re not afraid to speak up and you have a high sense of ownership.
4. Great “people” skills. We’re looking for:
- A great storyteller with outstanding communication skills.
- A community builder and conversation starter, with a proven ability to federate a community.
- A great team player: you are kind and fun to be around, and your energy is contagious.
How to apply
Super easy 👉 If you think you’re a fit for the role, click here to tell us a bit more about yourself and send us a short mobile video:
- Please note that for the question “According to you, what pre-seed/seed “platform” based in France should we invest in? Why?” the platform must be based in the UK (apologies for the form mistake!).
- The video should be shot with your smartphone(vertical view / no need to have a super high resolution) and should not last more than 2–3 minutes max. If it’s heavier than 20 MB just upload a link to the video.
- In the video, you will need to i) introduce yourself and your background and ii) answer the question below:
What do you think is the most important trend in Tech for the next 5 years and why? What about for the next 20 years?
We’re looking forward to meeting you !!
Sebastián & the Samaipata team