The Specialist Finance team is looking to hire an Investment Associate to supplement the existing team of 20. Primary responsibilities include involvement in origination, structuring and execution of equity investments of between £50m – £150m and lending opportunities in the UK. There will also be involvement as required in other areas including valuations and other portfolio management activities.
The successful candidate will be joining a team with backgrounds in banking, corporate finance and accountancy. Key requirements for this role are strong modelling capabilities and commercial acumen.
The Specialist Finance team sits within the Octopus Investments business line. The team manages both the Octopus Inheritance Tax Service (OITS), which has c.£2bn of funds under management and Octopus Apollo VCT, a fund with c.£140m of assets under management. These funds have been raised from retail investors into tax advantaged products.
This role will involve working to deploy capital into new opportunities for OITS and help manage its existing portfolio. OITS is expected to grow to >£2.5bn by 2022 and the team are currently originating new opportunities in existing and new sectors with this target in mind.
Outline of responsibilities
- Origination of equity investments and lending opportunities in the UK
- Building and maintaining an origination network in priority sectors for OITS including specialist lending, fibre broadband and other new areas
- Working collaboratively to execute all aspects of a deal, including negotiation, financial modelling, deal structuring, due diligence and documentation. A primary focus of the role will be responsibility for financial modelling on new transactions
- Helping to prepare investment papers and present deals to Investment Committee
- Other ad-hoc modelling, analysis and portfolio valuation and monitoring
- Board observer involvement in portfolio companies
Desired Skills and Experience
- Excellent analytical, modelling and commercial skills for assessing and analysing investment opportunities
- Experience in originating, structuring and executing investments, ideally in corporate finance, UK SME private equity, or banking
- Exceptional academic and technical background ideally with a credible post-graduate qualification such as chartered accountancy, MBA or CFA.
- Non-executive board/observer experience not essential but would be helpful
- A flexible, self-starter, who thrives on challenges, and can manage multiple workstreams concurrently
- A strong team player with the confidence to liaise with external counterparties at all levels of seniority
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
IF interested, please apply here.