This is a unique opportunity to apply your technical and analytical skills to research leading European startups and support investment decisions at Balderton.
- Passion for technology startups, demonstrated by a strong grasp of industry trends, key players, and business fundamentals of leading software companies
- Experience working in a research position at a technology company, investment bank, strategy consultancy or similar
- Strong technical analysis skills – you will have to be comfortable connecting multiple data sources, manipulating large datasets and providing concise outputs
- Strong written and oral communication skills – you are expected to produce publication-quality material based on your research
- Hunger for learning and an instinct for seeking and finding information
- 2-3 years of work experience and preferably technical abilities in engineering or mathematics equivalent to that of a degree from a top tier University
The role will vary week by week and will be influenced by you. You can expect the role to divide roughly into:
50% supporting Balderton in researching emerging technology sectors:
- Compiling insights from public and private datasets, developing benchmarks from the performance of companies and using data signals to identify new opportunities
- Publishing research on public forums and within the portfolio
- Keeping up to speed with the latest developments in early stage TMT
Experience connecting large datasets; Conducting and publishing robust research into markets and business models; Making the complex simple
25% evaluation of new investments:
- Continue to advance and automate our existing CRM and data platform to identify new investment opportunities
- More detailed analysis / due diligence as we move closer to a deal, including market and competitive analysis, customer references and some financial modelling
Deep understanding of relevant metrics for different software business models; Pattern recognition; Comfort with Excel, SQL and Python a plus; Reaching conclusions quickly based on limited information
25% Portfolio / Balderton:
- Capture, organize, and share digestible data and actionable insights across the portfolio
- Analyze portfolio data and help prepare presentations for investor meetings
Curiosity and confidence in managing, querying and interpreting large datasets; Ability to extract insights and share only what is relevant when it is relevant; Ability to multi-task and self-direct
The role would be suitable for an experienced pre-MBA candidate, or recent post-MBA candidate and pay is in line with similarly experienced positions in consulting or investment banking, with an additional performance related bonus.
Balderton provide budget for training to support your personal and professional development.
If interested, please apply here.