The Senior Investment Director contributes significantly to the growth and success of Takeda (LinkedIn, Crunchbase) external R&D initiatives by identifying and nurturing high quality strategic investment opportunities. In this role, he/she works autonomously to evaluate, diligence and propose investment opportunities to key governance bodies (TVI, Investment Committee, BRC).
Post-investment participation as a Board member or observer will contribute to advancement of the company on behalf of shareholders, including facilitating interactions with Takeda that result in win:win strategic transactions.Self-confidence, independence and out of the box thinking must combine with a strong team ethic, discipline with respect to venture priorities and open, collaborative communication internally as well as externally.The Senior Investment Director is a key ambassador for Takeda venture philosophy and best practice internally and externally. As a result of these endeavors, TVI will develop the brand of a strategic investment partner of choice.
- Cultivates and establishes a comprehensive, deep network of external relations providing first-mover access to therapeutic innovation within the broader venture community (academia, entrepreneurs, biotech clusters, government and private life science initiatives)
- Develops and maintains relationships with key stakeholders of external innovation within Takeda R&D, serving as the primary Takeda venture point of contact for strategic investment into one or more therapeutic areas
- Recognises and contextualises potentially first-in-class science/technology requiring extensive external consultation with experts in the field, coupled with translation of the opportunity to internal stakeholders in terms of current Therapeutic Area strategic imperatives
- Leads complex, potentially multi-party negotiations requiring a comprehensive understanding of venture investment best practices in North America and Europe, the fundamentals of corporate finance, and any territory-specific corporate legal implications of the investment
- Serves as a Board Member (non-executive director) or Board Observer on TVI portfolio companies, honouring fiduciary obligations to all shareholders while, in parallel, seeking opportunities for one or more win:win strategic transactions between the portfolio company and Takeda
- Vocal senior advocate for the continuous improvement of Takeda External Innovation processes and evolution of creative deal structures; works proactively with CEI, GBD and TAUs / DDUs to enhance strategic competitiveness, and inform forward R&D strategy via the TVI external lens
- Manages business relationships and counsels business partners, internally and externally, on transaction and strategic issues pertaining to external venture opportunities
- MD or PhD in a related field (biochemistry, pharmacology, molecular biology, etc.).
- Extensive experience in the Venture Capital or Biopharmaceutical industry, with a proven track record in Research, Business Development or venture investing.
- A highly professional individual with ambition and an entrepreneurial mind
- A strong team player, with a clear awareness of knowing when to lead and when to simply participate as a key team member
- Some combination of acknowledged relationships with venture investment institutions, biopharmaceutical and biotechnology companies and high caliber academic institutions.
- Extensive exposure to research at the University level with a broad level of exposure to multiple disciplines
- Understands the competitive landscape in private and public sector lifesciences industries, and is knowledgeable enough to anticipate new trends and developments in healthcare generally, pharmaceutical R&D specifically
- Experience in negotiating and managing third party collaboration, licensing and development contracts. Has a good understanding of the laws and regulations affecting venture investments at the state, federal and international level.
If interested, please apply here.