We are looking for our Head of Dealflow & Selection
APX is looking for a Head of Dealflow & Selection (fulltime), who will be in charge of finding and selecting our portfolio startups.
APX is an early-stage investor and tailormade accelerator program, based in Berlin. Backed by Axel Springer and Porsche Digital, APX works with industry agnostic startups in the digital space.
The Head of Dealflow & Selection and the team will constantly connect with the most promising founders in Europe, Israel, and beyond. The Dealflow & Selection team is the first point of contact for startups interested in an APX investment. They are at the helm of a smooth and state-of-the-art APX selection process with several stages that identify the best investments to pursue.
Scope and goals of your role
We want to invest in 2-5 highly promising pre-seed or seed startups every month. The teams can be found anywhere in Europe, Israel and – in case of a meaningful APX contribution and impact – across the world. Your job is to find and select the best startups for us to invest in.
Throughout your role, startup founders will interact directly with you, and it will be your responsibility to build, maintain and improve the best processes to allow them to apply, and us to select the best.
For dealflow, you will meet founders at events and conferences and continuously work with our networks of leading universities, organizations, mentors, experts, investors, service providers, and APX alumni to get in contact with promising founder teams. We want you to constantly refine and optimize our dealflow efforts, continuously testing, implementing and improving specific tools, filters, and new ideas.
For selection, you design and execute processes based on our existing methods, in order to identify the strongest founder teams and business ideas. You challenge the founders’ ideas based on your comprehensive understanding of digital business models. You focus on the most relevant investor readiness dimensions to make investment decisions.
You work particularly closely with the leadership team, APX Marketing, Brand & Communications, Venture Development, as well as the other Investment Managers in charge of Closing and Portfolio Management.
You will report to one of the managing directors.
Responsibilities and ownership of your role
- Getting the best teams to apply
- Source and screen pre-seed and seed startups to join APX
- Coordinate and execute dealflow related sales and marketing activities
- Represent APX at events across Europe and Israel
- Selecting the best teams
- Manage digital application forms and databases
- Operate and refine digital selection tool
- Organize weekly pitching sessions for preselected startups, and care for them with your team
- Initiate and operate rapid due diligence process along with our colleague who is responsible for Closing
- Preparing investment committee approvals
- Draft investment proposals
- Managing dealflow team
- Hiring and managing the dealflow and selection team (interns/student employees)
- Entrepreneurial spirit and proactive “can-do” attitude
- Open-minded, curious, and hands-on mentality
- Outspoken and excited to represent APX
- Structured way of working in a very dynamic environment
- Authentic and service-oriented
- Self-reflective and able to continuously challenge and improve methods
Your Skills and Experience
- Work experience either as a startup founder/core employee of a startup or as an investor
- In-depth knowledge of internet and mobile related technologies and business models
- Good knowledge of financial modeling and venture capital
- Relevant network in the startup ecosystem, ideally beyond Berlin
- Excellent communication skills. Fluent in English. Any additional EU language is beneficial. German is particularly beneficial
- Gain ownership of an integral part of APX operations
- Exploit substantial creative leeway to carry out smart ideas
- Become part of a forward-thinking, cooperative, international, and diverse team of colleagues and leadership
- Work from a high-energy, fast-moving office location
- Connect with hungry founders at the forefront of technology
- Engage with a comprehensive network of stakeholders, including investors, shareholders, mentors, experts
- Competitive package
Join us on our way to becoming Europe’s most ambitious early-stage founder and tailormade accelerator program. We look forwarding to receiving your application. Please get in touch with us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and make sure to include
- A few sentences on why you’d like to work at APX in this role
- Your resume