Alumni Ventures Group is a fast-growing organization of over 90 team members nation wide that builds and manages alumni and focused venture capital funds. Our corporate headquarters, located in Manchester, NH, provides back-office support and other resources to our funds across the country. On an annual basis, these funds raise money from accredited individuals to invest in venture and alternative assets. AVG has successfully launched 25 venture funds over the past five years and is looking to launch another dozen or so funds over the next few years. We are private, for profit, and not part of any school.
As AVG continues to grow, we are further developing our organizational capacity and capability, including our Investment teams who work out of our Boston, New York, Chicago and San Francisco offices. The Principal position in our Chicago, IL office is a unique opportunity to support the efforts of our Boston based investment teams: Bascom Ventures and Purple Arch Ventures. Reporting to a Managing Partner, the Principal supports and collaborates with AVG’s Chicago based funds and our centralized Office of Investments in Manchester, NH, prioritizing work and resources to help both Bascom and Purple Arch reach goals for fundraising and investment while championing the AVG investment philosophy.
This is a full-time position located in AVG’s Chicago office. You will work with an incredibly talented group of individuals in a highly collaborative environment.
- Research potential deal opportunities for various funds, identify and communicate stakeholders and trends across all sectors and stages, develop and maintain proprietary deal and market intelligence
- Identify and engage those potential deal opportunities that align with AVG’s investment mandate, including interviewing company teams, competitors and customers, at the request of office MPs, Partners, and Principals
- Working with the fund teams and Manchester, NH Office of Investment
- Support the development, documentation and implementation of processes that improve the number of potential deals considered and the number of qualified deal opportunities available to the investment teams
- Help develop and manage regular reporting on fundraising and deal sourcing activities and effectiveness
- Work across deal teams to track and support proper investment operations process from due diligence through liquidity events
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Work closely with colleagues at all of AVG’s funds to identify mutual interesting investment opportunities
- Support the preparation and distribution of due diligence packages for the Investment Committee (IC) and Alumni Venture Group sibling funds to review
- Present companies and respond to Managing Partner and LP questions
- Orchestrate and execute IC meetings
- Assist with investor relations and potential investor outreach
- Assist with back-end functions as needed
- Contribute positively to AVG’s culture
In an addition to being strongly motivated to build a career in venture investing, our ideal candidate has many of these traits.
- Direct investing experience is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field required, MBA desirable
- 4-8 years of experience in financial services/venture capital and the startup space, including specific experience sourcing deals or raising capital
- Has the experience and ability to bring business to and help grow AVG’s network and investment opportunities
Skills and strengths
- Strong analytical, financial analysis, organizational and writing skills
- Ability to quickly comprehend, evaluate and critique a venture’s business model, market opportunity and team
- Awareness of the venture capital community including leading investment funds and partners, historical successes and failures
- Familiarity with typical venture capital deal structures, terms and industry practices
- Knowledge and interest in current technology, trends and developments
- A professional presence combined with relationship and communication skills to interact effectively with internal and external parties
- A highly-motivated, self-starter with the ability to work independently within a team context
- Demonstrated interest and experience in emerging companies, and experience in company research and due diligence preparation
- Eager to learn with a passion for the impact of technology across sectors
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and execute on processes while working with diverse and/or remote stakeholders
- Can shift priorities, leverage resources, communicate and multi-task effectively to ensure that critical objectives are met
- Can identify networking opportunities and quickly establish relationships, both internally and externally, and effectively leverage those connections to support organizational objectives
- Adept at organizing, analyzing, and reporting on data. Notices and addresses important details with a high degree of accuracy
- Leverages impeccable communication skills to collaborate with and address a diverse and sophisticated audience
If interested, please apply here.