The Director of New Ventures leads the creation of startup companies based on internal technologies.
- Find internal company, technology or monetization opportunities and determine / realize their revenue potential over the short and long term.
- Facilitate early stage startup development using infrastructure, capital, and talent investments/strategies including creating internal / annual investment vehicles.
- Identify and support external revenue opportunities including new top line streams, co-investment vehicles, corporate, sovereign and channel distribution partnerships.
- Direct and lead each entrepreneurial opportunity to the appropriate funding channel
- Assist in the implementation of all business case strategies including identifying startup CEOs, obtaining financing, negotiating license terms and board representation.
- Develop structures for supporting startups including external resources and services.
- Collaborate to develop, execute and oversee the education, training and support of internal inventors and their business plans.
- Create a safe harbor for entrepreneurship and an overall culture of entrepreneurship.
- Stay current on public policy, market conditions, industry trends and peer institution benchmarks, and articulates the local impact of global environments.
- Participate in feasibility analyses and action planning in response to shifting industry dynamics and market conditions.
- Hire, manage and develop staff to create and sustain high performance teams.
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Bachelors in Business, Health Science, Healthcare Administration or a similar program.
- Five (5) years of experience managing projects and/or business development.
- Five (5) years of experience in an innovation program, design thinking role, startup, and/or startup accelerator.
- Five (5) years of experience leading innovation commercialization through development of start-ups, new business development opportunities or similar.
- Five (5) years of experience leading end-to-end strategy development through execution and operationalization.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: Advanced degree (JD, PhD, or MBA) in business, law or related field
- Ten (10) years of experience managing projects and/or business development.
- Ten (10) years of experience in an innovation program, design thinking role, startup, and/or startup accelerator.
- Ten (10) years of experience leading innovation commercialization through development of start-ups, new business development opportunities or similar.
- Ten (10) years of experience leading end-to-end strategy development through execution and operationalization.
- Experience in an academic healthcare environment.
Additional Technical Requirements
- Expert proficiency in negotiations.
- Expert proficiency in legal contract and investment documents
- Expert knowledge of business plan development and implementation
- Expert knowledge of startup funding including Seed, Series A and Series B financing
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills
- Excellent leadership skills
- Ability to collaborate with stakeholders at all levels.
- Ability to influence others to accomplish tasks outside of the direct span of control
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
If interested, please apply here.