MSVC is responsible for accelerating sustainable bottom line growth for MSI through investments in new technologies, new businesses and new talent. MSVC is a small, high-impact team with locations in Chicago, IL, Silicon Valley, CA and Tel Aviv Israel. The team is responsible for making investments in high tech start-ups that are relevant to our businesses. The department currently manages a portfolio of approximately 20 companies with new companies added to the portfolio periodically. The department is also responsible for monetizing these investments and meeting annual strategic and financial goals set by the corporation.
- Research markets and develop investment theses on identified industry trends
- Assist with sourcing of compelling investment candidates and conduct initial review of investment prospects and assess deal fit against MSVC’s strategic fit and investment criteria
- Perform customer, management, co-investor, other VC/network reference calls
- Attend relevant events to develop VC and CVC network to begin generating quality deal flow and representation of MSVC externally
- Pro-actively develop and maintain key relationships inside of MSI for successful MSVC strategic partnering and investment activity by facilitating internal stakeholder interactions, collection of internal technology, product and business roadmaps, hunting grounds and disseminate intelligence gathered among MSVC team members.
- Contribute toward strategic alliances for win-win outcomes including connecting companies sourced from MSVC with targeted internal partners for technology and business evaluations and collaboration to ensure maximum business outcomes for MSI and portfolio companies.
- Engage with portfolio companies and monitor critical events, such as business performance against strategic and investment thesis and implementation of commercial terms, etc.
- Work to add significant value to portfolio companies, helping them grow, thereby representing MSVC as world-class value-added corporate investor
Business and Financial Analysis and Reporting:
- Perform financial and valuation analysis for venture capital stage investments, including verification and analysis of business models, financial statements, cap tables, annual operating plans, and other documents during diligence, portfolio holding and exits process.
- Preparation of reports and presentations on strategic venture investment activities.
- Track portfolio holdings and prepare analyses on financial and strategic ROI.
Reports and Presentations
- Co-create and jointly present investment pitches with deal lead as requested (including supporting investment rationale, high level technology and competition reviews) and email approvals Investment Board and MSI legal and Finance.
- Study and report on critical trends and strategic impact internal executives, senior management and team members
- Develop internal and external presentations for successful communications and promotion of MSVC activities (including Hunting Grounds, Partnering metrics, Group reviews, etc.) to educate others on value of implementing CVC the right way, the MSVC process, portfolio updates and technology trends
- Maintain deal overviews and portfolio company board decks on ventures secure server
- Work with IT to maintain and as necessary, enhance, MSVC‘s Salesforce implementation and assess and recommend alternative database and other vendor tools.
- Work with PR / Marketing team to keep website presence up to date and fresh and respond to industry surveys as requested
- Provide support for coordination of MSVC Executive Innovation Field Trips, Startup Pitch events and other events
Background and Experience:
- Junior level experience in venture investment, private equity, management consulting or investment banking with direct experience with venture capital investing.
- Basic understanding of engineering is an advantage.
- Good understanding of VC investment principles and strong business analysis capabilities, including financial modeling and reporting, in addition to preparation and delivery of presentations.
- Skills and Personal Characteristics:
- Ability to execute and manage multiple projects or tasks in a time critical, transaction-oriented environment
- Self-starter that requires limited oversight and an affable personality with ability to work individually and/or in a team-oriented mindset
- Strong organizational, collaboration, and consensus-building skills, in addition to good communication and presentation skills
- Highly quantitative; data-driven approach to decision making, methodical and detail-oriented
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and able to interface at all levels of the organization with advanced knowledge of Excel and financial modeling and PowerPoint presentation skills
If interested, please apply here.