Equity Group Investments (EGI) is Sam Zell’s private investment firm. Founded more than 50 years ago, EGI has a long track record of building private and public businesses, including the origination and growth of multi-billion-dollar companies. EGI’s flexible capital and open investment mandate enable the firm to pursue opportunistic transactions across industries and geographies, throughout the capital structure, at any point in the economic cycle. EGI has a long history of value creation for the assets in which it invests and for investment partners. We raise outside capital when there is abundant opportunity, and we are patient, picking our spots, when there is not. EGI’s current portfolio includes investments in transportation and logistics, waste and infrastructure, healthcare, manufacturing, dealerships, agribusiness, energy and real estate.
We exponentially scale businesses. We find companies with great foundations, and we help them develop the infrastructure and capabilities to grow to the next level.
We can invest in capital-constrained environments, and we often secure a first-mover advantage. Usually counter-intuitive, dislocations are the hallmark of contrarian investments that built EGI.
We apply deep operational expertise from inhouse and in-network resources to turn poor performing companies around. We work with management teams to set the most effective strategy, prioritize which initiatives will efficiently achieve our aligned goals, and ensure the resources are available to get them done.
Need for Speed and Certainty
Unlimited access to our principal, Sam, and a bureaucratic-free structure enables us to move quickly. Moreover, we have a reputation for doing what we say we’ll do.
We unravel complexity, identify optimal solutions, and serve as a stabilizing force for management during transitions. We also have a long track record of maximizing tax-efficient assets so troubled companies can become growth vehicles – (E.g., NOLS, MLPS).
Active Public Company Ownership
In partnership with management, we accelerate change within a company to unlock value. We apply a well-earned reputation for strong governance and often guide course corrections to head off crises.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Seeking to hire an Associate to join our private equity investment team. Candidates should be excited to pursue a career in investing across a broad range of opportunities including private and public ownership and equity and debt securities — across various industries. The EGI investment team values, driven and intelligent individuals who work well in a team environment.
Associates are provided a lot of responsibility across all stages of investing – origination, operational engagement, and exit. They will be expected to work successfully with team members (including our founder), portfolio company leadership (e.g., CEOs and CFOs) and external advisors. Successful candidates will show an ability to balance the substantial time commitment to work with existing portfolio investments while developing new investment opportunities.
- Lead/support all aspects of new deal execution including due diligence, financing modeling, deal structuring, negotiation, investment committee approval and execution.
- Lead/support day-to-day interaction with portfolio companies, including liaison with executive leadership and participation in Board of Director activities.
- Engage with portfolio companies on operational and strategic initiatives.
- Participate in all aspects of the investment team’s new and existing businesses strategic processes and initiatives.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- 2+ years of work experience in private equity, hedge fund, investment banking, management consulting, or other similar roles with an emphasis on M&A, leveraged finance and corporate finance.
- Strong financial modeling skills
- Experience with industry analysis and company due diligence
- Experience working with lawyers, c- level executives, and other intermediaries is preferred
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to synthesize large amounts of data into actionable form
PERSONAL / PROFESSIONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Keen ability to connect the dots; bring simplicity to a complex situation
- Provide an opinion; EGI values opinions and ideas on investments
- Independent thinker; anticipate what needs to be done; think ahead of the curve
- Strong communicator and capable of interfacing with senior management teams.
- Independent self-starter, intellectually curious and a team player.
- Mental agility; be able to pivot seamlessly between projects without losing momentum
If interested, please apply here.