We are looking for a full-time analyst to join ARCH Venture Partners (Chicago HQ). This analyst will play a central role in a high-visibility internal project, connecting corporate venture partners and tech scouts with cutting-edge research.
Our ideal candidate is self-directed, detail-oriented, a skilled communicator, and comfortable exercising initiative and operating with minimal guidance. Candidates must be knowledgeable about emerging scientific technologies and comfortable going deep in a wide range of domains within the physical and life sciences.
This role is ideal for a high-performing person who is early in their career and wants to learn about the commercialization of science, corporate technology scouting, and venture capital.
The role is primarily focused on developing and maintaining relationships with corporate partners, guiding their technology scouting teams in the identification and diligence of new innovations.
You will help manage systematic deal sourcing from universities and maintain and curate a large database of new technologies and companies. You will manage many contacts across the top universities in North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Strong organizational skills are a necessity.
You will also help develop investment theses in key scientific domains, create industry-specific analyses, and survey promising new fields of research. You will help coordinate a team of associates and interns contributing to these efforts.
While your primary focus will be on establishing and running internal systems to source and screen new deals and manage relationships with corporate partners, you will be exposed to a wider range of venture capital activities, including screening, diligence, new venture creation, and portfolio company support.
- Developing, sourcing, and maintaining relationships with strategic corporate partners
- Managing systematic technology scouting and sourcing from top universities across North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia
- Managing and developing internal software resources, including a database
- Analyzing a wide array of new technologies across the physical and life sciences
- Participating in due diligence processes
- Guiding university research teams in interactions with corporate venture organizations
- Generating deliverables for the ARCH team and corporate partners, for example decks and whitepapers on research trends
- Supporting events, marketing efforts, and meetings
Minimum Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific or engineering discipline. Physical science preferred (e.g. physics, chemistry, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering), but life science also a fit.
- 1-3 years of work experience, especially in consulting or technology sourcing
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Experience in Salesforce, database management, and data analytics
- Strong interest in and comfort with going deep in a wide range of scientific domains
- Interest in physical and life science-focused startups and venture capital
- Skilled at multi-tasking and prioritization in a fast-paced team environment with quick turnaround
- High integrity, strong work ethic, detail-oriented, and self-motivated
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
- Live and work in Chicago, with occasional travel
If you are excited about contributing to a growing effort to guide corporate investment in innovation, please send a resume and cover letter to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ARCH Venture Partners
ARCH Venture Partners is one of the largest early-stage technology venture firms in the U.S. ARCH has co-founded and provided initial investments for more than 250 companies organized around innovations from research universities, national laboratories, corporate research groups, and entrepreneurs. By focusing on leading scientific innovators, ARCH has been at the forefront of investing in major areas of innovation in the life sciences and physical sciences, and has helped to catalyze revolutionary advances in genomics, nanotechnology, industrial biotechnology, and major disease treatments. ARCH has raised eleven primary funds with combined committed capital at the time raised of approximately $6.3 billion. ARCH Venture Partners is an equal opportunity employer. For more information, please visit www.archventure.com.