Impact Engine is a women-owned and led Chicago-based venture capital and private equity firm, investing in companies driving positive impact in economic opportunity, environmental sustainability, and health equity. The firm manages $68M across its funds and was included on the 2019, 2020 and 2021 ImpactAssets50 lists, which recognized outstanding impact investment funds with a demonstrated positive social, environmental and financial impact. Across its portfolio, Impact Engine has invested in companies with 33% women CEOs and 33% non-white CEOs, and 70% of companies we invested in are headquartered between the coasts.
Impact Engine embraces diversity and prioritizes building a team with varied work and life experiences and identities. Firm values include authenticity, excellence, humility, resourcefulness, camaraderie, inclusivity, optimism, and determination.
About The Role
There are many barriers to economic stability and mobility in our society, and the tools needed are not equitably distributed. The Senior Associate works with the firm’s partners to source, diligence, and manage investments in companies that close those gaps (e.g. financial services, education, jobs, and housing). Our direct investments range from early-stage venture capital to growth-stage private equity. The Senior Associate also supports fund and co-investment opportunities related to economic opportunity.
With a passion for and expertise in economic opportunity, the Senior Associate develops views on investment theses and opportunities for Impact Engine to pursue within this impact theme. They focus on sourcing, evaluation, and management of these opportunities alongside the partners of the firm. The Senior Associate is also responsible for working with the partners to assess, measure and report impact as well as execute on impact management initiatives. Impact Engine is a field builder in the impact investing community, and the Senior Associate has an opportunity to contribute to the firm’s thought leadership in economic opportunity.
Given the firm’s small team and entrepreneurial culture, the ideal candidate is a self-starter that thrives in an independent yet collaborative work environment. The role is designed for a candidate with 3-7 years of experience, including financial analysis. This position is based in Chicago with flexibility to work remotely.
- 3-7 years of investment banking, venture capital/private equity, and/or fund investing experience
- MBA preferred but not required
- Investing or operating experience in the education, fintech or HR tech sectors
- Passionate about impact investing, preferably with experience in the field
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate companies and/or funds
- Exceptional analytical skills, including the ability to build and manage financial models
- Discipline to adhere to an investment process and strength to communicate opinions effectively
- Deep intellectual curiosity and interest in learning more about social and environmental issues in order to fully understand and evaluate impact potential from investments
- Entrepreneurial spirit, comfortable taking on new projects with little direction and collaborating with other team members
- Detail-oriented, high work standards, and self-starter
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Tight knit, mission-driven team
- Flexible working conditions: We are currently hybrid office and remote, and have an unlimited PTO policy
- Benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance and 401(k)
- Opportunity to help us scale an impactful investment firm and community
If interested, please apply here.