Bluestein Ventures is a leading early-stage venture capital fund investing in the future of food. Our focus is game-changing, early-stage ventures across the food industry that redefine how consumers achieve their health and wellness. Our investments span the entire supply chain – both B2C and B2B – with a focus on four areas: high-growth consumer brands, proprietary foodtech, next-gen commerce, and digital technology. Our target stage is Seed to Series A. We’re active investors, going beyond capital to help our portfolio companies develop, iterate, and implement their go-to-market strategy to achieve product-market fit and set the foundation for scale.
Since Bluestein was founded in 2014, we have invested in over 40 companies. Notable investments include Factor, the #1 prepared meal-subscription service that exited to HelloFresh in 2020; FourKites, a freight location intelligence platform for large shippers; Meati, a minimally processed fungi-based alternative protein; and Foxtrot, a new-age convenience store. Other investments include Mori, Vive Organic, New Culture, and Provi.
To learn more about Bluestein’s investment approach, team and portfolio, please visit https://www.bluesteinventures.com.
Senior/Associate Role Description
Bluestein is hiring a Senior/Associate to assist with research and data analysis to support investment decision-making and portfolio value-add. The Senior/Associate will be a key member of the team, and will play a central role in evaluating new opportunities, building investment theses, and supporting portfolio companies. The role will encompass data analytics, market research, financial analysis, database management, administration, marketing, and day-to-day operations. This position represents a unique opportunity for a highly-motivated individual to take on a wide set of responsibilities in the exciting world of venture capital and make a significant impact in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. Duties will include:
- Review business plans and pitch decks.
- Conduct due diligence on prospective new investments (including market research, business analysis, competitive landscape, business/pricing model, and diligence requests).
- Gather, summarize, and analyze performance metrics from portfolio companies.
- Conduct research and analysis, such as developing investment theses across key areas and ad-hoc market research.
- Source new, interesting companies and make first contact with them.
- Manage pipeline database.
- Develop presentation materials for the firm, portfolio companies and management teams at prospective companies.
- Get Bluestein’s name out there through marketing efforts (e.g. blogging or social media).
- Stay up to date on market and industries by regularly attending events; networking and engaging with the entrepreneurial community; and tracking relevant startup, VC, and food/retail news.
- Help team with whatever needs to be done (e.g. scheduling, emailing, event logistics, note taking).
Required Skills & Experience
- 4-5 years of experience within management consulting, investment banking, venture capital, and / or private equity preferably in food/retail industries.
- 2+ more years of data analytics, financial modeling and / or valuation experience.
- Must have experience in and passion for the food industry.
- Strong market research skills.
- Excellent analytical skills, creative, detail-oriented, self-motivated, high energy, and a team player.
- Self-starter, solutions-oriented, and comfortable working with minimal oversight.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Superior work ethic, strong desire to learn, and uncompromising attention to detail.
- Passion for entrepreneurship / business, proactive, and driven to succeed.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- BA / BS degree.
- Competitive compensation package.
- Located in downtown Chicago.
- Full-time position.
Please send resume and cover letter to Ashley Hartman at email@example.com.