Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate Strategic Ventures is responsible for corporate venturing activities that deliver both strategic and financial value through minority investments, business partnerships, and other strategic relationships. The focus of the group is to accelerate Allstate’s business strategies and create new business opportunities by accessing emerging markets, capabilities, products/services, and talent.
Internally, the team works with leaders across the business to identify key investment focus areas and priorities to focus investment and business development efforts as well as coordinate the interaction between Allstate and investment portfolio companies.
Externally, the team works with venture capital firms, incubators/accelerators, universities, entrepreneurs, and other third parties to identify technologies, capabilities, companies, and management teams that help us to strategically grow and transform our business.
This role will contribute to the Strategic Ventures team with sourcing and evaluating start-ups, leading due diligence efforts, assisting with structuring, negotiating and managing investment opportunities globally. Sr. Associate will be expected to demonstrate strong leadership and project management skills, critical thinking skills, and internal management skills while working with the senior management team in identifying and executing strategic transactions.
- Directs screening processes to vet deals through strategic, financial and investment value considerations and provide recommendations
- Manages in-depth company and market assessments and due diligence that would cover a review of the target company’s management team, operations, company financials, legal documents, etc.
- Creates and manages comprehensive financial models for individual start-ups as well as venture capital portfolio as a whole
- Leads development of Investment Memos and Presentations for the Investment Committee
- Provides leadership and critical input at every stage of the process when working closely with the internal business units including structuring of the Test Agreements and POCs
- Possesses meaningful industry specific expertise
- Monitors the development of networks within the VC community, accelerators, universities and research centers in North America and Europe
- Sources quality deals through networking and build a robust deal flow pipeline
- Oversees on-going relationships with portfolio companies and provides access to the business units to enhance strategic and financial benefits to Allstate
- Provides guidance and leadership to junior resources
- Develops exit recommendations for Investment Committee review
- Contributes to developing SV’s strategic plan and direction
- This job may have 1 to 2 direct reports
Education and Experience
- 8 or more years of related experience; preferred candidates will have experience in venture capital/private equity investing, investment banking, top tier management consulting or working for an accelerator or start-up in more senior capacity
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience; preferred candidates will have Masters degree
- Familiarity with the start-up/VC environment
- Strong understanding of financial valuation, planning and analysis for venture capital investments, M&A and joint venture
- Technology and operational experience
- Demonstrable experience in performing qualitative and quantitative analysis in tight timeframes and simultaneously juggling multiple workstreams
- Team first attitude and a commitment to work in a highly collaborative environment
- High level of proficiency in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Industry specific expertise
- Ability to work closely with internal business partners
- Has skills needed to help start-ups navigate internal processes and assist in managing POCs
- Must be ethical and honest, possess high integrity and be trustworthy
If interested, please apply here.